Door latch

/ Door latch #1  

DonRybak

Gold Member
Tractor
RK37HC
Today I went to get in my RK37HC and I couldn't open the door, The button to unlatch it would only go in about 1/4". I was getting ready to look up the part number on-line to call the local dealer and have them order a new handle but decided to see if I could find out what happened to the one on the tractor since it worked yesterday afternoon. Pretty simple to disassemble and I found that the coil spring that pushed the button back out had broken. It appears that water had gotten in there and rusted the spring enough that it broke in twp pieces. One of the pieces had fallen down blocking the button from going all the way in. On a whim I went to Ace Hardware and they had a spring that was petty close in diameter but about 3 time too long. I bought that and was able to cut it down to work. I even have a peice long enough to do the other side if it becomes necessary. Very happy with the $1.49 cost verses what a new handle would have been.

/ Door latch #2  
Thanks Don that’s good info. Something else to inspect and to keep on hand.

/ Door latch #3  
Excellent post. My unit sat out in the parking lot for over a year before I bought it. So it was exposed to the elements that whole time. I would bet my latches might have that same issue. Love simple fixes.