DPF Regeneration driving me crazy...

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #341  
I remember a lot of that from back then. Some cities you drove thru literally made you sick at your stomach from the bad smell. Gary Indiana was one of those we drove thru back in the early 70's that made all of us in the car sick

It is nice to think that all the air pollution was from cars. But stop and think about it Wheeling W VA, Pittsburg, Gary, Cleveland all are nice and clean because the industries that supplied a lot of good paying jobs packed up and moved out of the country. Look at the poverty, drug dependence and lack of positive out look since the jobs and money are gone. Steel, iron, tires are no longer made here because of the pressure from the government to stop pollution, the corrupt unions and the misunderstanding of the economics of a strong nation.

Now the stuff is still made but it is done in countries that have no regulations so the pay is poor and the the pollution is greater. What a great fix has occurred. The rust belt was born. Railroad, shipping, mining and all the related jobs restaurants, retail, construction etc are just gone. But hey the sky is blue here. China and India and others get the jobs and money. We get the left overs.

And the cycle continues. Get rid of the fossil fuels. Those nasty ICE must go and build electric cars because they do not make any pollution. Keep smokin' that wacky tobacky.

Last edited:
   / DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #342  
All that bought into this regen crap knew, or should have known what they were getting into

No need to worry about clean air here. It will all be clean here, while all the ''clean air'' regulations are forcing companies to produce items in countries that don't have these regulations, and ship those items back to us for purchase. Yet all their dirty air is floating here for us to breath.

I love the smell of diesel along with my coffee and cigar in the am

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #343  
It is nice to think that all the air pollution was from cars. But stop and think about it Wheeling W VA, Pittsburg, Gary, Cleveland all are nice and clean because the industries that supplied a lot of good paying jobs packed up and moved out of the country. Look at the poverty, drug dependence and lack of positive out look since the jobs and money are gone. Steel, iron, tires are no longer made here because of the pressure from the government to stop pollution, the corrupt unions and the misunderstanding of the economics of a strong nation.

Now the stuff is still made but it is done in countries that have no regulations so the pay is poor and the the pollution is greater. What a great fix has occurred. The rust belt was born. Railroad, shipping, mining and all the related jobs restaurants, retail, construction etc are just gone. But hey the shy is blue here. China and India and others get the jobs and money. We get the left overs.

And the cycle continues. Get rid of the fossil fuels. Those nasty ICE must go and build electric cars because they do not make any pollution. Keep smokin' that wacky tobacky.
It doesn’t have to be pollution or jobs. It can be clean industry and jobs too. Modern plants can produce steel, iron, and tires without belching black smoke. Companies that wanted to continue running 50 year old plants and not invest in modern manufacturing facilities didn’t survive. Those that modernized did survive. Look at all the high quality manufacturing in Germany, and they have stricter environmental laws than the US.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #344  
It doesn’t have to be pollution or jobs. It can be clean industry and jobs too. Modern plants can produce steel, iron, and tires without belching black smoke. Companies that wanted to continue running 50 year old plants and not invest in modern manufacturing facilities didn’t survive. Those that modernized did survive. Look at all the high quality manufacturing in Germany, and they have stricter environmental laws than the US.
When the pressure from the government forces companies to choose either close down and move out of the country or spend millions to modernize you move to a country that wants the "dirty work". The products still get made just somewhere else.

The biggest problem is the never ending regulation changes. I have watched it first hand. The EPA required cleaner emissions from the power plants. Before the changes could be completed the EPA stepped in and required more changes. Then more changes. There is never a chance for the companies to recoup the cost. The result was the decommission of coal power plants and thousands of related jobs lost.

We now get to enjoy the electric shortages and the poor conditions of the power grid. The money was spent to convert the coal power plants to cleaner NG ones. Now the clean plants are evil and we must rid our country of the dirty fossil fuels that at one time were the solution.

The goal of the EPA maybe good one but the EPA fails to look at all of the long range consequences.

The comment about how modern Germany steel is a good one. They produce about 2% of the worlds steel. The US now only makes about 4.4% of the worlds steel. While China and India produce 59% of the worlds steel. WE know how good China and India are at pollution regulations.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #345  
When the pressure from the government forces companies to choose either close down and move out of the country or spend millions to modernize you move to a country that wants the "dirty work". The products still get made just somewhere else.

The biggest problem is the never ending regulation changes. I have watched it first hand. The EPA required cleaner emissions from the power plants. Before the changes could be completed the EPA stepped in and required more changes. Then more changes. There is never a chance for the companies to recoup the cost. The result was the decommission of coal power plants and thousands of related jobs lost.

We now get to enjoy the electric shortages and the poor conditions of the power grid. The money was spent to convert the coal power plants to cleaner NG ones. Now the clean plants are evil and we must rid our country of the dirty fossil fuels that at one time were the solution.

The goal of the EPA maybe good one but the EPA fails to look at all of the long range consequences.

The comment about how modern Germany steel is a good one. They produce about 2% of the worlds steel. The US now only makes about 4.4% of the worlds steel. While China and India produce 59% of the worlds steel. WE know how good China and India are at pollution regulations.
The EPA is a rogue agency that needs to be shut down.

period

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #346  
The EPA is a rogue agency that needs to be shut down.

period
The EPA operates under policies and statutes established by congress, just like all agencies do. Congress establishes laws and direction that federal agencies are governed by, then individual members of congress criticize the agencies for following laws they establish. This is an old game that members of congress use to stir up their base voters. I’ve seen it time and time again in my own agency. If congress doesn’t like the laws they establish, they have the power to change them. But it’s politically advantageous to have agencies to use as punching bags, especially when the executive in charge of the agency happens to be of the other political party.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #347  
I'll keep my L3240 gear drive that I can leave in idle and push the accelerator with my foot when I need it. It sips fuel. The only time I use the hand throttle is when I'm brush hogging.
You guys can have your tractors that are screaming wide open all the time.

Jeff

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #348  
I'll keep my L3240 gear drive that I can leave in idle and push the accelerator with my foot when I need it. It sips fuel. The only time I use the hand throttle is when I'm brush hogging.
You guys can have your tractors that are screaming wide open all the time.

Jeff
It’s not necessary to run tier 4 tractors wide open all the time. Idling for appropriate tasks is fine, as long as the machine is run at 2000 RPMs for awhile afterwards. WOT isn’t necessary.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #349  
Diesels were never meant to be run at constant idle. Even older machines benefit from running at PTO rpms occasionally. They burn cleaner and don’t smoke as much.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #350  
Diesels were never meant to be run at constant idle. Even older machines benefit from running at PTO rpms occasionally. They burn cleaner and don’t smoke as much.
Never said I left it at constant idle. Just press the gas when moving or working.

Jeff