Drill Bit Sets

/ Drill Bit Sets #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
It's time to buy new metal cutting drill bits. Probably ought to get a set of fractionals, numbers, and letters to half inch.
Who makes the best drill bits? Best price? Best durability?

rScotty

/ Drill Bit Sets #3  
The longest lasting bits will be made with a cobalt blend. They are expensive but can be sharpened. They will NOT have the best price but you get what you pay for. You can try a web search on best drill bits for steel or something like that, or talk to a machinist.

/ Drill Bit Sets #4  
After many years of using Dewalt, craftsman, Ryobi etc, last year I finally sprung for a set of Norseman bits.
Haven’t really put them to a serious test, but so far they seem to be a definite step up from big box drill bits.

I am frustratingly hit and miss when it comes to sharpening bits, so that part remains to be seen.

/ Drill Bit Sets #5  
I bought a small set of Milwaukee Cobalt bits a while back. I haven't used them a lot yet but the other day I used the 5/16" to enlarge some 3/16" holes in a high speed steel saw blade. I ran the drill very slow sos not to overheat the bit and it gnawed right through.

/ Drill Bit Sets #7  
I saw a set of drill bits on Abom79 Youtube channel the other day and I found that to be a very cool concept. The tip of the drill is ground like a step drill, which should reduce the force needed to push the drill through the material. It's a great fit for hand drills.

Here is the link. It's made in USA by the way, or so they claim. The only downside I see is that it can't be easily ground like the conventional drill bits.

219836445_5905560962850698_4517155481127351665_n.jpg

/ Drill Bit Sets #8  
We use Irwin Cobalt bits at work for drilling stainless and harden steel. I was impressed enough so I bought a set of them for my shop. I don't know how good the "Harbor Freight" Chineseum cobalt drill bits are but I think any name brand ones are worth the investment.

/ Drill Bit Sets #9  
you'll get plenty of good leads here on new ones. all i can say is what not to get: Harbor Freight
i get a lot from them, but never a cutting edge.

/ Drill Bit Sets #10  
We use Irwin Cobalt bits at work for drilling stainless and harden steel. I was impressed enough so I bought a set of them for my shop. I don't know how good the "Harbor Freight" Chineseum cobalt drill bits are but I think any name brand ones are worth the investment.
I'll second the goodness of Irwin cobalt bits!