Driveway alarms; do they work?

/ Driveway alarms; do they work? #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
   / Driveway alarms; do they work? #3  
   / Driveway alarms; do they work? #4  
Yes I have one that works great. Its about 800 feet from the house. every once in a while a dear dances around it it goes off too and when my wife flies down the driveway at 50 miles it doesn't ring.

/ Driveway alarms; do they work? #5  
I have one and am very satisfied. Deer do give an alarm and also when it rains we don't detect the car. Still, we like it a lot.

/ Driveway alarms; do they work? #7  
I have the Mighty Mule FM231 wireless. It wouldn't work at 300' from my house because a tree was in the way, but it works perfectly at about 150' from the house. The alarm is loud enough to hear and has a unique 4-part cycle that gets our attention everytime there is a mail or UPS delivery. I buried the sender beside my driveway and it is never triggered by animals nor any other false alarm that I know of.

The only fault I have with the design is that you have to drive the pipe into the ground to mount the transmitter. You can't do that with a wire to the magnetic sensor coming out the bottom, so what I did was to drive the PVC pipe and then drill a hole in the side for the wire. They should have suggested that in the instructions. I can just see where some people would try to drive the pipe with a wire coming out the bottom and end up cutting the wire. That part of the design is lacking in my opinion.

/ Driveway alarms; do they work? #8  
I have the Mighty Mule FM231 wireless. It wouldn't work at 300' from my house because a tree was in the way, but it works perfectly at about 150' from the house. The alarm is loud enough to hear and has a unique 4-part cycle that gets our attention everytime there is a mail or UPS delivery. I buried the sender beside my driveway and it is never triggered by animals nor any other false alarm that I know of.

The only fault I have with the design is that you have to drive the pipe into the ground to mount the transmitter. You can't do that with a wire to the magnetic sensor coming out the bottom, so what I did was to drive the PVC pipe and then drill a hole in the side for the wire. They should have suggested that in the instructions. I can just see where some people would try to drive the pipe with a wire coming out the bottom and end up cutting the wire. That part of the design is lacking in my opinion.

Yep, I have the same unit. My first Mighty Mule didn't have the buried sensor - it was all contained in the transmitter head on the pvc pipe. What a piece of junk !! False alarms all the time (sunspots ?) They had a recall on those and I got the current unit you describe. Much more reliable, maybe only 2 or 3 false alarms in almost a year now. Mine is about 250' from the receiver in the house and my house has 29 ga metal siding - picks up the signal just fine and of course this type of unit isn't affected by anything other than metallic objects breaking the field or possibly other electrical fields (sunspots ?) Critters/people have no affect on it.

/ Driveway alarms; do they work? #9  
Mom and Dad have one, one problem is that the dogs have gotten lazy.... they bark when it goes off. the deer trigger it at night, mom shuts it off after 9 pm now.

/ Driveway alarms; do they work? #10  
how deep do you have to bury the mighty mule sensor?