Driveway alarms; do they work?

/ Driveway alarms; do they work? #31  
Fellas,
two questions. My property is wooded and rises almost 1,000' from state road thru woods up, up a wooded drive then over a crest to my homesite.
Is there any AMPLIFIER or relay that could send a relay a signal up the hill and over the crest to me? These detectors and relays would have to be battery powered as I have no electricity. Eventually I'll have electricity at the house site but never down the drive......ideas?
:confused:

/ Driveway alarms; do they work?
Boeing:

I had a similar issue with a 'Water Cop' device I have in my basement. A ham radio/architect/electronics inventor friend gave me a simple and cheap solution. Place a continuous piece of copper wire (I used 14 AWG solid) with one end within 1" on the transmitting antenna, and the other end within 1" of the receiving antenna. The ends should be parallel to the antenna if possible and they shouldn't touch. The wire acts as a repeater and no batteries or other power sources are required. It worked for me and it was simple and cheap. I used insulated wire with the insulation stripped off a couple of inches at each end; but my buddy says the insulation can stay on.

/ Driveway alarms; do they work? #33  
Boeing:

I had a similar issue with a 'Water Cop' device I have in my basement. A ham radio/architect/electronics inventor friend gave me a simple and cheap solution. Place a continuous piece of copper wire (I used 14 AWG solid) with one end within 1" on the transmitting antenna, and the other end within 1" of the receiving antenna. The ends should be parallel to the antenna if possible and they shouldn't touch. The wire acts as a repeater and no batteries or other power sources are required. It worked for me and it was simple and cheap. I used insulated wire with the insulation stripped off a couple of inches at each end; but my buddy says the insulation can stay on.

I am in the process of buying a place that will have a very long drive, and this topic interest me.

Are you saying you run a wire the full length of the transmission? If so, why not just use a 'wired' solution?

/ Driveway alarms; do they work?
Are you saying you run a wire the full length of the transmission? If so, why not just use a 'wired' solution?

I asked my ham radio buddy the same question and he said don't do it and proceeded to fill me in on all sorts reasons not to that I didn't understand since electronics isn't my strong suit.

/ Driveway alarms; do they work? #35  
My driveway sensors are wired. They are the CarTell CP 2. The upside of a wired system is obvious- no batteries. The CarTell is a buried sensor than senses moving metal, so no triggers from wildlife.

The downside is you have this huge run of wire out there connecting to electronics at both ends. So you have to do a lot of protection of the electronics.

The wires for my sensor are in a 160 PSI black PE pipe buried 2' down. At the sensor end, you need to come up and go into a box so you can both splice to the sensor and have some transient protection (MOVs or TVS Diodes). Put the sensor in a 3" PVC pipe at an angle so you can have it right at the edge of the driveway, but are working 4' away from the edge if you have to dig it up.

Coming into the house, you have to come in at or near the single point of entry and have gas tube protectors (like the telephone company uses). Then, before you go into any electronics, you have to have additional TVS diodes. Finally, you need to do something with the relay closure you get such as wire it into an automation or security system or connect it to a relay to ring a standard door bell chime.

Regrettably, none of the "normal" automation or home security sites sell a kit with all these pieces so you're left to design and fend for yourself. And things outside with long runs of wire can always have a problem if a lightning strike is too close. Even giving advise on what to do is shaky since eventually a system will have a failure and then since you gave advice somehow you own the problem.

So wired can be done, but you have to know the pieces. This is probably why wireless systems are popular. I hate batteries with a passion, so I went the wired route. Two sensors gives me direction (coming and going). And as far as cost, the wired solution with the right protection tends to cost about $500 for a sensor (if you're digging the ditch) by the time you buy the sensor, pipe, wire, and protection devices. Then you still have to do something with the contact closure from the device. Probably the only good thing about a wired approach (other than no batteries) is the seat time digging the ditch :thumbsup:.

Pete

/ Driveway alarms; do they work? #36  
Here is what I used:

Sensor:
AX70T.jpg

AX70TN Perimeter Beams

Relay for converting the 12v trigger to 120V output:
el-912b6_1.jpg

HomeTech Solutions: Relays

One siren in the basement and one in the shop (both wired after a switch for wife's sanity while mowing/plowing).
Panel%20Mount%20Terminals%20Link.jpg

http://www.mallory-sonalert.com/specifications/SC110FK.pdf

Pretty good system, but the deer also activate it:(

/ Driveway alarms; do they work? #37  
We an Optex driveway alert. It is wireless and has been in use for about 7 years with no problems. Range is good for about 300 feet. I put a white drain pipe over it to keep snow off it. Have 2 receivers for it, one in the house and one on the outside of the barn, that way if we are in the back yard or barn area we will hear it. One night about 10 PM it went off and the wife went to see what set it off, turned on the 500 watt flood light and there was a mother cougar and 2 half grown cubs about 75 feet from our front door.

Attachments

• Optex 001.jpg
    Optex 001.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Optex 002.jpg
    Optex 002.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Optex 003.jpg
    Optex 003.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 103
   / Driveway alarms; do they work? #38  
Fellas, I've seen the battery powered alarms etc but....How can I make a battery powered RELAY for a drive alarm? In Virginia, the drive is 3/4 mile thru woods....climbing up a hill. So distance AND grade prevent "line of site" The hill levels about 75 yards from the shop and 150 yards from a building site. I would like to know of guests BEFORE they top that hill. Any ideas? (I have no electricity) Thanks:confused:

/ Driveway alarms; do they work? #39  
Fellas, I've seen the battery powered alarms etc but....How can I make a battery powered RELAY for a drive alarm? In Virginia, the drive is 3/4 mile thru woods....climbing up a hill. So distance AND grade prevent "line of site" The hill levels about 75 yards from the shop and 150 yards from a building site. I would like to know of guests BEFORE they top that hill. Any ideas? (I have no electricity) Thanks:confused:

You might consider installing the detection unit at the top of your hill so that there will be line of sight..The idea is to alert you of someone approaching your home. It would only take seconds for someone to get from the entry of your drive to the top of the hill anyway so why not give those seconds up in favor of knowing when a car passes the top of your hill...unless you care about knowing the very instant someone pull onto your drive...Just a thought.