Driveway gate recommendation?

/ Driveway gate recommendation? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
gate.jpg

We are tired of the snoopers driving in all the time. We are going to be installing a gate sort of like the one shown. We do have the brick pillars. The gate is just under a 1/4 mile from the house. I will have power and internet at the gate location.

I want the ability to open the gate from a cell phone, pre-program at least 10 codes that will open the gate and I want a key pad where people can punch in the code. I also want video to see who is at the key pad and the ability to talk to them.

If you purchased something similar what did it run you? What brand and model did you get? Are you happy with it? Anything to watch out for or any tips before I go down the rabbit hole? :)

Oh...and how do you handle things like UPS deliveries?

Attachments

• c700x420.jpg
    c700x420.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 94
   / Driveway gate recommendation? #2  
I have a simple, basic Mighty Mule. Takes multiple codes and a keypad or card reader. Not sure about a camera/intercom.

UPS has their own code that I can enter on the shipping information page on their site. So does FedEx.

/ Driveway gate recommendation? #3  
One of my clients has a Liftmaster gate opener that she is very happy with. It's very similar to this one on Amazon. Maybe the exact same thing. She hired a guy to install it for her since she is elderly and lives alone.

Amazon.com: LiftMaster LA4PKGUL Gate Opener (Newest LA4 Model) 219 UL325 Compliant & Receive A Free Pliers 11 in 1 Multi-Tool with 11 Screwdriver Bits & Case (with 2 811LM Remotes): Camera & Photo

I've been thinking about buying the same thing. My wife is nervous about protesters and what would happen if a group of them decided to drive down our driveway.

/ Driveway gate recommendation? #4  
I've been thinking about buying the same thing. My wife is nervous about protesters and what would happen if a group of them decided to drive down our driveway.

I put up a set of gates many years ago to stop sales people, religious fanatics, 'tourists', people scouting you for a theft, and tax assessors which are far more likely to pester you than protestors.

My first one was the linear actuator type and was constant trouble. I notice a LOT of the Mighty Mule type actuators disconnected and not working as I drive around. I later switched to an articulated arm type, 1/2hp motor belt drives a right angle gear box, and it has performed well over 20 years now.

Something like this: You are being redirected...

More expensive, but less expensive in the long run.

/ Driveway gate recommendation? #5  
I have two gates on my driveway. One out where the driveway dumps onto the county road - one mile from the house. One where the driveway comes onto my property - 350 feet from the house. Neither can be seen from the house. Because of this - both are manual. Works just fine for me.

/ Driveway gate recommendation? #6  
I put up a set of gates many years ago to stop sales people, religious fanatics, 'tourists', people scouting you for a theft, and tax assessors which are far more likely to pester you than protestors.

My first one was the linear actuator type and was constant trouble. I notice a LOT of the Mighty Mule type actuators disconnected and not working as I drive around. I later switched to an articulated arm type, 1/2hp motor belt drives a right angle gear box, and it has performed well over 20 years now.

Something like this: You are being redirected...

More expensive, but less expensive in the long run.

Did you buy from them? It looks like the better models with the swinging arm are just a little bit more at the $1,600 range. That's more then I wanted to spend, but in the long term, I agree with you that it will be cheaper then buying lower end models and then replacing them all the time.

/ Driveway gate recommendation? #7  
We've an Apollo 1550 single swing gate on our driveway just in from the cul-de-sac about 400 ft from the house. Had a local fence company put it in. Wife says it's almost the best $4500 we've ever spent. Have a Dakota driveway alert for the driveway and the mailbox, too. These work great.

Only 4 slight problems with the Apollo:

1. Won't work with programmable openers now on 2 of our cars. Needs a new electronic board to work with them.
2. Keypad had to be hard wired to the control box.
3. Keypad should have had its power source from the control box battery, as recharging those batteries on it are a PITA. Thought they'd done this when they put in #2.
4. The audio remote never worked well. Finally gave up on it and put a little sign with our phone # on it to call us, but we generally know someone is there from the driveway alarm.

Had to install a 2nd solar panel. Even then, the battery in the control box has to be recharged once or twice/yr.

Ralph

Last edited:
   / Driveway gate recommendation? #8  
Your standard common Door King 1710 control unit will do what you want. They even have converters to take the video feed from the optional camera to twisted pair and back at the house. You'll need to pull a cable with a number of twisted pairs. You can wire one up to the house's phone system so you can control the gate from a phone and talk to people with no internet required. There's a lot of DK units installed around here. Our gate had the 1710 controller when we moved in. Later on we replaced it with a different unit but then put a 1710 back on there when we had the opener replaced.

Door King makes a solid gate opener too. I forget who made the one that came with the house but I spent a lot of time maintaining it. The DK one needs nothing.

I leave a large storage box behind the gate for packages. The gate is to keep vehicles from going in and out, there's a gap in the fence next to it so people can go through. Our gate is well off the main road so not many people come by it. One drawback to the gate is that some delivery people leave packages at the gate even when it's open and someone is home to receive the package.

/ Driveway gate recommendation? #9  
Mighty Mule has some new systems that look like they may be a little less costly. Where would you guys go to find someone to install the system if you didn't want to do it yourself?

Last edited:
   / Driveway gate recommendation? #10  
There's small companies here who do nothing but gate installs.

I've used two- one did the original install for the original house owner and his company's sticker was on the opener. The other I found by asking locals.