Driving over Buried Drainage

/ Driving over Buried Drainage #1  

Woodsman603

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710
I'm smack in the middle of a drainage project in the backyard. Got a 100' trench dug 2.5' deep. Laying 1 1/2" stone, fabric, more stone, 4" perforated PVC (green stuff), and finally more stone all the way to the surface. Going to leave the stone exposed.

The dirt from the trench I need to move with the FEL. But, I need to be able to drive over the trench to access the dirt. I think I'm going to end up crushing the PVC if I drive over it. That correct?

L3710 with a Woods9000 Backhoe.

/ Driving over Buried Drainage #2  
I'm smack in the middle of a drainage project in the backyard. Got a 100' trench dug 2.5' deep. Laying 1 1/2" stone, fabric, more stone, 4" perforated PVC (green stuff), and finally more stone all the way to the surface. Going to leave the stone exposed.

The dirt from the trench I need to move with the FEL. But, I need to be able to drive over the trench to access the dirt. I think I'm going to end up crushing the PVC if I drive over it. That correct?

L3710 with a Woods9000 Backhoe.

At 2 feet deep? and probably 6 inches wide (you don't say) I doubt you would harm it with a perpendicular drive over.

/ Driving over Buried Drainage #3  
That green pipe will survive driving pretty much anything over it with 2’ of cover.

/ Driving over Buried Drainage #4  
How about doing proper fill wide enough to accept tractor, and "cross over" and work from dirt pile side.....

Dale

/ Driving over Buried Drainage #5  
If the pipe is fully surrounded by the stone and that stone has been compacted and tamped, I would expect it would carry the weight - like a culvert pipe would carry...

You did not mention the width of the trench - 20" or so? Can you cross the finished trench at an angle such that only one wheel at a time is crossing the trench? That would minimize the risk further.

Mind, everything I say is based on my engineering thoughts and not practice. I have never built a drainage ditch... So, factor that into your thinking...

/ Driving over Buried Drainage
Sorry, width of the trench is ~18"; give or take.

I can drive at an angle, sure.

Huh. I thought for sure the tractor would crush that PVC like a lobster claw.

How about doing proper fill wide enough to accept tractor, and "cross over" and work from dirt pile side.....

Dale

Not really an option where the trench is. I'm right on the wood line with a decent slop. I can't really access it without clearing a bunch of trees or climbing a very steep incline. There's just enough room to have the dirt piled, and that's it. I can't even get the tractor fully onto the other side of the ditch.

It wasn't until I was done digging the trench that I stepped back and thought to myself, "oh, crap".

/ Driving over Buried Drainage #10  
If you are worried take some oak planks and lay across the trenches.