Drop valve knob stuck

/ Drop valve knob stuck #1  

gregz

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX 2350
Hi guys another question, I will have many. On my bx2350 I cannot turn the 3pt drop knob, it is froze. There is no way possible to see the shaft where it enters the transmission to soak it with penetrating oil, the fuel tank is in the way. I removed the cigarette/12v aux port and have been trying to squirt some penetrating oil from there. Any suggestions how to free this up. Thanks

Last edited:
   / Drop valve knob stuck #2  
Can you get a strap wrench around the knob, maybe apply some extra pressure to get it moving back an forth?

/ Drop valve knob stuck #3  
You are going to have to take it apart to access the needle valve that controls the bypass oil flow to the 3PH. Depending on model, either the shaft is frozen or the valve is stuck and reefing on the knob will only break the knob, not free the valve. I work mine (on my M's) regularly to keep them from locking up.

/ Drop valve knob stuck #4  
You are going to have to take it apart to access the needle valve that controls the bypass oil flow to the 3PH. Depending on model, either the shaft is frozen or the valve is stuck and reefing on the knob will only break the knob, not free the valve. I work mine (on my M's) regularly to keep them from locking up.

Sounds expensive :eek:

/ Drop valve knob stuck
Hopefully not expensive. Right now the 3pt works fine, just can't adjust the drop speed. My guess never used. I did find similar situations and seems I need to soak it w penetrating and have patience.

Found this post from google search on orange tractor site

Default Re: BX2350. Three point linkage problem
The knob under the seat that controls the speed of how fast the 3 point arms lower also keeps the 3 point arms from lowering if the knob is fully closed (turned fully clockwise). If that knob is frozen, you may need to get under the tractor and spray the knob shaft with some penetrating oil and tap the knob shaft LIGHTLY with a hammer to loosen it up enough to get it to turn. When I say tap LIGHTLY with a hammer, I mean just enough to get the knob to vibrate a little to work any rust loose. Keep the knob shaft wet with penetrating oil, keep trying to work the knob loose and be patient. It may have been locked in position for several years and is now just needing some coaxing to get it to work loose.

/ Drop valve knob stuck #6  
Hopefully not expensive. Right now the 3pt works fine, just can't adjust the drop speed. My guess never used. I did find similar situations and seems I need to soak it w penetrating and have patience.

The knob under the seat that controls the speed of how fast the 3 point arms lower also keeps the 3 point arms from lowering if the knob is fully closed (turned fully clockwise). If that knob is frozen, you may need to get under the tractor and spray the knob shaft with some penetrating oil and tap the knob shaft LIGHTLY with a hammer to loosen it up enough to get it to turn. When I say tap LIGHTLY with a hammer, I mean just enough to get the knob to vibrate a little to work any rust loose. Keep the knob shaft wet with penetrating oil, keep trying to work the knob loose and be patient. It may have been locked in position for several years and is now just needing some coaxing to get it to work loose.

Well i would certainly try that first. Got nothing to lose at that point, but hopefully something to gain if it gets it moving for you. Thats why i asked if you couldn`t give it a little bit of turning pressure with a strap wrench along with some penetrating oil.

/ Drop valve knob stuck #7  
Sounds expensive :eek:

Not really. More time consuming. To access the needle valve that controls the fluid bypass, you need to take stuff apart like the seat and or in a cab application, the access plate off (my cab M's have an access plate below the seat base to access the shaft and valve. The lowering valve is threaded into the upper arm casting on top the upper transmission case and diverts the flow ( or stops it) depending on if it's closed or open and with non use, it gets crudded up and locks, causing the knob to become inoperative. The knob us plastic. Some are secured with a roll pin, some slip on the shaft and engage the roll pin with a detent but applying undue force to the knob in an attempt to free the valve will result in a busted knob.

The proper solution is to access the valve and linkage rod directly and free it up and then apply anti-seize to the threads and (in my case), the universal joint in the shaft. I slipped a length of rubber hose over the joint, filled with grease, to keep the joint lubricated, Different models have different actuator linkages depending on the angle the linkage shaft is at.

After going through that ordeal, I rotate the knob regularly now. Regular use prevents it from seizing.

Not a good design in reality but it's there anyway so it might as well work correctly.

/ Drop valve knob stuck #8  

I'd be extremely careful about tapping on the end of the shaft to free the needle valve in as much as the valve is brass and soft so tapping on the end could destroy the threads where it engages the valve body. The best cure is direct access to the valve and putting anti-seize on the threads, lubricating the linkage and using it regularly. Besides, tapping on the plastic knob will break it. Knowing Kubota, the cost of the replacement valve won't be a cheap date and of you bugger up the valve, removal will entail removal of the entire upper casting that carries the upper 3 point arms, an involved procedure.

It don't rust, it locks because of the crud that collects under the seat / tin on top the transmission case. No matter how careful you are about keeping your unit clean, the top of the case is not really accessable so junk collects there and eventually causes the lowering valve to lock up.

/ Drop valve knob stuck #9  
I'd be extremely careful about tapping on the end of the shaft to free the needle valve in as much as the valve is brass and soft so tapping on the end could destroy the threads where it engages the valve body. ....................

Good input. You need to know what you're working with. "Tapping" means using different sized hammers for different applications. I still use an old tablespoon as a hammer to drive some small pins on guns. A sharp rap with a very light "hammer" works better than a 16 ounce claw hammer. Coaxing some of the larger things into place that I work on is best done with a 10 pounder.

/ Drop valve knob stuck
Trust me I don't plan on whacking it with a hammer. If i can't free it up with PB blaster and turning by hand I will leave it be. The mmm and the 3pt work just fine for my needs, they both go up and down :) although I would like it to be functional. cheers