Dual 3PH Tilt Cylinders--Plumbed In Parallel?

/ Dual 3PH Tilt Cylinders--Plumbed In Parallel? #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Was just thinking about this and wondering if anyone has done it. I assume that dual tilt cylinders are normally plumbed each with its separate remote valve.
If plumbed parallel into one remote, the result would seemingly be a floating action side to side. What would be the pros and cons for typical 3PH operations?

/ Dual 3PH Tilt Cylinders--Plumbed In Parallel? #2  
I have dual tilt cylinders with separate valves. Plumbing parallel is what is on your loader cylinders. Not sure why you would want that as you lose the ability to tilt. They would raise and lower at the same time and would not float. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you would like to do.

/ Dual 3PH Tilt Cylinders--Plumbed In Parallel?
Plumbing the two cylinders together in parallel would be like on a FEL but the difference is that the 3PH lower links would be free to float up and down independent of each other. In other words, if the load on one lower link is greater than the other, that link would tend to drift down which would tend to raise the other link. This is due to the fluid transferring from one cylinder to the other, rod side to rod side and base side to base side.

The lower links become, in effect, a hydraulic walking beam. It would be the same as putting both of your side tilt valves in float if they had that option. It would also be somewhat similar to putting a single side tilt valve in float.

The difference on a FEL boom lift is that the two cylinders are connected mechanically so they can't float even though connected in parallel hydraulically.

I've read here on TBN about the advantages of side float, for example, when using a rear blade for grading a road or terrain that is undulating side to side.

/ Dual 3PH Tilt Cylinders--Plumbed In Parallel? #4  
Never thought about that. Interesting. I can see how that might be beneficial in certain situations but most of what I have done it probably would not have made much difference.

/ Dual 3PH Tilt Cylinders--Plumbed In Parallel? #5  
Usually, on 3 pt system with external cylinders, the rockshaft will still connect both sides together, thus making a solid connection.

/ Dual 3PH Tilt Cylinders--Plumbed In Parallel? #6  
Yes the rock shaft keeps both sides connected at the top lifting arm, however he is talking about tilt cylinders hooked between the upper arms on the rock shaft to the lower lift arms. Thus taking out the rock shaft in this instance.

/ Dual 3PH Tilt Cylinders--Plumbed In Parallel? #7  
Yes the rock shaft keeps both sides connected at the top lifting arm, however he is talking about tilt cylinders hooked between the upper arms on the rock shaft to the lower lift arms. Thus taking out the rock shaft in this instance.

Oh yeah, my bad. Just re-read it properly now. I guess it was early in the morning before. :)

/ Dual 3PH Tilt Cylinders--Plumbed In Parallel? #8  
You could NEVER cut a grade. Any time you used your 3pt, the implement could simply move any way it wanted on a side-side basis. While there are certain tasks where this is a HUGE benefit, the majority of the time you would not be a happy camper.

I use my side link float feature a lot, but I would NEVER have a 3pt hitch where a float feature was the only way that the hitch could be used.

You want to add a simple float feature, copy the clevises from a John Deere. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    668.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1749.JPG
    IMG_1749.JPG
    579.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    596.3 KB · Views: 61
   / Dual 3PH Tilt Cylinders--Plumbed In Parallel? #9  
I use that feature a LOT on my Branson, specially mowing. It's a very nice feature to have and it will actually move a lot during mowing.

/ Dual 3PH Tilt Cylinders--Plumbed In Parallel? #10  
I use that feature a LOT on my Branson, specially mowing. It's a very nice feature to have and it will actually move a lot during mowing.

Yes, that is why I like the flex hitch lower link feature with my KK rotary cutter. If you hit a stump with one of the front corners, just that side hops over, not the entire deck.