Duel, wheels

/ Duel, wheels #1  

Danny@

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC 1723
What I need to put dual wheels on a Massey Ferguson GC 1723

/ Duel, wheels #2  
Are you looking for stability or traction? For these size machines, any DRW kit is going to be for stability of width alone.

/ Duel, wheels #3  
See www.clicdualwheels.co.nz/ I think you will like these. Changing is quick and easy. I watched the demo at the Ag feildays when they were there. No jack needed, just drop a piece of 6x2 on the ground and drive on, and add or remove the dual wheels.
I was impressed with the speed of wheel adding or removal. Important if you only have a small shed or narrrow trailer.

/ Duel, wheels #5  
Traction is generally a function of contact pressure. A small tractor has very little to start with because of its low weight. Duals would only make it worse.

If stability is the goal, spacers are likely a better option.
Not necessarily, the ground condition is more of a factor.

/ Duel, wheels #6  
Not necessarily, the ground condition is more of a factor.
Okay, if driving through a swamp, the duals could be helpful. Not for traction, but flotation.
Not that it would matter much as the front tires would sink in.

/ Duel, wheels #7  
Another concern. Your tractor may not be designed to handle dual rear wheels. The rear axles on my Kubota M6040 are almost 4" in diameter. The Owners Manual says "NO" to duals - "OK" for spacers.

Instead of duals or spacers - I have my Ag rims set to their widest spacing. This could be a very inexpensive solution - if you have adjustable Ag rims.

/ Duel, wheels #8  
Okay, if driving through a swamp, the duals could be helpful. Not for traction, but flotation.
Not that it would matter much as the front tires would sink in.
Traction is generally a function of contact pressure. A small tractor has very little to start with because of its low weight. Duals would only make it worse.

If stability is the goal, spacers are likely a better option.

Traction has a lot more to do with the ground condition and the tread pattern then the "contact pressure". If contact pressure was the major factor in traction smaller tires would provide more traction then larger tires. In tractors that is very seldom the case

/ Duel, wheels #9  
Traction has a lot more to do with the ground condition and the tread pattern then the "contact pressure". If contact pressure was the major factor in traction smaller tires would provide more traction then larger tires. In tractors that is very seldom the case
Well, mostly/maybe, but a bunch of truths form different relationship in different situations. In cohesive consolidated earth the pressure to bite in is important. AGs generally have this but dual setups will diminish it somewhat -- likely enough on firm ground to sabotage the extra weight and surface interaction advantage of the added tires. Likewise on loose but cohesive earth the duals may lose all apparent advantage because they dont offer enough pressure to fully consolidate the rolling path.

/ Duel, wheels #10  
What I need to put dual wheels on a Massey Ferguson GC 1723
Depends on the style of rims you currently have. Suspect easiest would be band type similar to what redman posted.

Another option if available in your tire size is the extended hub like used on front wheel assist for larger farm tractors.

You should consider axle stress based on your intended use. Just extra floatation with minimal 3 point or draw bar weight probably not much concern. Hundreds of pounds of rear weight I would be a little concerned. With back hoe definitely concerned.

Run the duals soft or low air pressure maybe half the pressure in the mains. This allows duals to flex and absorb some of the ground imperfections while putting less stress on the axle.

Last edited: