Dumb mistake=Dumb question

/ Dumb mistake=Dumb question #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
Seems like the harder I try, the more mistakes I made. I was cutting out the blade for my wood processor, measured it a dozen times, and still cut it wrong. I was cutting 3/4 plate to use for the wedges and managed to cut one 1/2inch to short. Each plate is supposed to be 15in long and then fitted together to make a full 30in piece. I didnt have a 30in piece so the reason for pieceing. Anyways, I dont have anything to cut any more pieces and just trying to figure out a way around since its not likely I can secure another piece until after the first of the year. My thoughts are to just gap the metal and fill it with weld. I have 6011 and 7018 x1/8 rods on hand. Where the joint will be will also be another wedge turned cross ways and the wedges are 7in wide. Right now the only option I have is wait for another piece of metal, or weld up the gap and use what I have. Little advise would come in handy right about now. I do have a carbon backing block to place behind the weld so I should be able to get a pretty good root pass.

/ Dumb mistake=Dumb question #2  
Not having any idea what it is for and how it fits, would it work to change something else so a 29.5in piece would fit or function?

If you can't meet the requirements, change the requirements. :D

Bruce

/ Dumb mistake=Dumb question #3  
I assume you are saying to fill in a 1/2" gap with weld. That would be asking for it to break. Weld in a piece of steel just a little wider than the 3/4 and weld the 3/4" piece to the piece, not the weld. That is what I would do. Ed

/ Dumb mistake=Dumb question #4  
I've been down this road before! One thing I've done in the past, is take 7018, and pad weld the end of the plate to beef it up to the proper size.
Even the best of fitters can screw you over at times. It's up to us to make it work!;)

/ Dumb mistake=Dumb question
Not to easy to change design now, I would have to recut and grind every piece of steel I have. 1211151829.jpg This is a pic of the wedge laid out on my welding table. all this metal is already cut to fit. Smart move would be to just go buy another piece of plate the right length, but cant today and that one piece of 3/4x7x30 plate would probably cost close to $100. I had already planned on a joint in the middle, just didnt plan on making the joint 1/2in wide.

I've been down this road before! One thing I've done in the past, is take 7018, and pad weld the end of the plate to beef it up to the proper size.
Even the best of fitters can screw you over at times. It's up to us to make it work!;)

Hadnt considered just welding up the end. I think thats an excellent ideal, and a lot easier than trying to fill a wide gap and hoping it holds. Thanks a bunch!

/ Dumb mistake=Dumb question #7  
The problem of welding up a wide gap is distortion. One way around that is using a double V-groove joint prep. Weld 1 or 2 passes on one side, then weld 1 or 2 passes on the other side. Try to keep the heat even.

Attachments

• 22_5 double bevel beamdxf_dxf.jpg
    22_5 double bevel beamdxf_dxf.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 174
   / Dumb mistake=Dumb question #8  
If both ends will be welded, pad weld both ends to make an even smaller gap.

Bruce

Well, went back to the shop and looked at it some more. Not as bad as I first thought. I only had to weldup about 2 1/2in. Took grinder and ground out a big Vee and turned the welder on helfire. Dont ask me how high because I dont believe lincolns 250/250 is really 250/250. I was probably about 160amp. I did vee out both sides. Anyways clamped everything to the table and spot welded one side, flipped and welded a little more on opposite side. Kept flipping and welding until I had the gap and vee filled. Letting it cool off now. I know I had full penetration because I had dingle berrys dripping out the bottom side when I first flipped it over. After three passes on each side, I turned the welder down a few notches and made three more passes on each side. one weld down each side and a cap in the middle. Straight edge says its flat enough for who its for, Me.