Durable plastic sheeting sources?

/ Durable plastic sheeting sources? #1  

brown40

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520
Good morning,

I'm working on a composting heat exchanger (aka Jean Pain?) to tie into the domestic water, and am looking for a 48" wide plastic sheeting that would be strong enough and UV/heat resistant enough to use over time to line the pile/keep the biological activity away from the frame. If it works I'll rebuild the pile annually after compost harvest.
Would have to be durable enough to take the occasional strike by a shovel or fork.
I can find HDPE products that are through the roof for pricing, but I thought there were alternatives out there used to line stalls and cover processing areas to make them cleanable surfaces that wouldn't break the bank.
I'd appreciate any experiences--could be geotextile, roofing, housewrap--I don't know--my searches aren't going well. Thanks in advance for any shared knowledge!

/ Durable plastic sheeting sources? #2  
U.S. Plastics in Lima Ohio

/ Durable plastic sheeting sources? #3  
It would help if you clarify what price is “through” the roof, and also where you live so shipping can be considered. Also, you don’t mention how much you need.

/ Durable plastic sheeting sources?
Thanks for the quick replies. On Grainger and MSC I see 4x8 sheets up over $100 for thin stuff to nearly $1000 for thick stuff--but not at all what I'm looking for. I need about 25 feet to line an 8 foot circle, and I'm up in Maine. I was hoping for something that came in 50 or 100 foot rolls in case it is really effective and I'd like to make more.
I compost anyway, as well as harvest wood from the property, so have a bunch of raw materials available--it won't replace oil, but would gain heat from a process I'm doing anyway. I'll check on US Plastics and see what they offer. Thanks again!

/ Durable plastic sheeting sources? #5  
I’m not positive I’m visualizing what you’re doing accurately, so just a few ideas:
Can you line with cheap/thin plastic, and then cover with something more durable?
How about the peel and stick “tar” paper used for construction?
Would the peel and stick vinyl floor tiles work? They’re durable and cheap.

/ Durable plastic sheeting sources? #7  
Would an above ground swimming pool liner work??

/ Durable plastic sheeting sources? #8  
Have you thought about using rubber?

/ Durable plastic sheeting sources? #9  
Why not use rubber roofing. It's I think usually 4 ft wide but I know our roofer that we use has huge rolls too. But that's in Michigan

/ Durable plastic sheeting sources?
Great ideas and suggestions--thanks for the replies. I knew the community would start me looking in other directions. The EPDM and virgin roofing products are pretty pricey for compost containment, but the pool liner/rubber ideas got me looking at conveyor belts, repurposed vinyl signs, and recycled tire flooring...
Appreciate the ideas!