Dust control.

/ Dust control. #1  

JasperFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1220
Does any one have a DIY method of dust control of a rural gravel road?

/ Dust control. #2  
Calcium chloride is used a lot in New England and probably elsewhere. Gravel pits use it. Buy buckets of crystals/pellets usually in 50 pound containers. Mix with water per directions.

/ Dust control. #3  
Better proceed with caution, some jurisdictions will have you in more trouble than you desire.

/ Dust control. #4  
I saw a "forensic files" where some town was completely condemned b/c of some chemical byproduct that was used as dust control. Everyone there was getting cancer.

/ Dust control.
And then?

/ Dust control. #7  
Is it your pvt. road? if not contact your local town/city highway dept.

/ Dust control. #8  
Our township refuses to pay the county charge for spraying CaCl so one of the board members built a rig by drilling holes in a pipe, putting a drum in his pickup bed, fastening the pipe to the bumper, running a hose with a valve from the drum to the bar, mixing the chloride solution, and spraying. County eventually lowered their price so the township could scrap the rig but it worked just as good. He got the mixture rate and spray rate from the county. Salt isn’t a friend to the environment but beats the dioxin laced transformer oil they sprayed in Times Beach. It’s also commonly used. They used to require a doctor’s order before the county sprayed by a residence but now they spray the road for 100 yards each side of the residence.

/ Dust control. #9  
I saw a "forensic files" where some town was completely condemned b/c of some chemical byproduct that was used as dust control. Everyone there was getting cancer.
That wasnt CaCl they used...

/ Dust control. #10  
We use magnesium chloride here and it works really well. I apply it in granular form with a fertilizer spreader hitched behind an ATV just after a spring rain. It dissolves almost instantly and soaks in.