E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15%

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #21  
I find it ironic, is that ethanol free gasoline is an option at most gas stations in the corn belt states and very scarce in a lot of other states. :confused3:

This is governed at the state level. Who gets what is governed by lobbyists. In my state, the only e-free gas is mostly what is considered racing fuel with octane ranging form 94-110. There is no E-free "pump gas" available. It only comes in 5 gallon containers. $60.
This is purely legislative which with applied logic, seems arbitrary at best.

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #22  
Can you point to a "source" for these stories, or is this your story.

Context would be much, appreciated. Thanks in advanced. :thumbsup:

Yes, the stories in post #1 of this thread that the OP referenced
There has been discussion about the issues with using E10 fuel and now the limit will move to 15%.

*****'s ethanol move delivers gift to corn country - POLITICO

In boon for farmers, ***** lifting restrictions on ethanol - The Washington Post

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #23  
I got to thinking about this "going up to 15%" business and I call this kind of news nothing but BS. I checked on both my 2005 Ford F-150 and 2006 Jeep TJ and the owners manuals say - "DO NOT EXCEED 10% ETHANOL IN THE FUEL".

AND - I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person in this entire country with a vehicle having similar fuel restrictions.

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15%
and the owners manuals say - "DO NOT EXCEED 10% ETHANOL IN THE FUEL".

True, rushing into this 15% limit with no forethought, research, and consideration, without offering a choice for the public would not be good.

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #25  
This will dramatically boost the demand for replacement fuel pumps. That will create jobs where they are produced. Oh, wait. Darn.

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #26  
I got to thinking about this "going up to 15%" business and I call this kind of news nothing but BS. I checked on both my 2005 Ford F-150 and 2006 Jeep TJ and the owners manuals say - "DO NOT EXCEED 10% ETHANOL IN THE FUEL".

AND - I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person in this entire country with a vehicle having similar fuel restrictions.
Without getting too political as to how or why this is possible, we have been through this before.

In the mid 80's leglisation was passed that banned leaded gasoline from being sold. There was an exception for racing fuels.

Many millions of people were still driving cars that required lead to lubricate valves and provide the needed octane for the car to run properly.

For a brief time, stations had both "regular " and unleaded gasoline. The regular was then phased out completely.

Using unleaded gasoline in those cars would result in catastrophic engine damage over a period of time.

Those that knew, bought race fuel. Very inconvenient.
Those that did not, prematurely damaged their engine and went out and bought a new car.

Perfectly good older vehicles damaged and scrapped because of a government decision.

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #27  
So you think it is okay for the government to tell you that once your vehicle is 10 years old you have to throw it away?

Like oosik, my truck is 06, my commuter car is 01 and my wife's SUV is 2012.

So I just have to accept damage to my 06 and 01 like many folks in the 80's that were driving 1973 and older vehicles?

All so some giant agribusiness can make more on a bushel of corn....

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15%
The wifes 2012 Malibu says E15 is the limit for ethanol content and my truck is flex fuel (E85). The Sea-Doo recommends against any ethanol content by listing the possible damage it can do. Starting/operating difficulties, deterioration of rubber/plastic, corrosion of metal parts, damage to internal engine parts, attract and hold moisture. The manual states: "Use of fuel labeled E15 is prohibited by U.S. EPA Regulations.".

/ E10 Ethanol fuel discussion/ limit will soon go up to 15% #29  
This is just another reason why I'm trying to switch all my equipment over to diesel. Some I obviously cannot (chainsaws, trimmers, walk-behind snow blower), but the rest I am switching when finances are in line to do so (UTV, Zeroturn, boat motor, I might even do my own diesel snowblower). I believe both of my gas vehicles are flex-fuel (one is for sure, the other I have to double check), so I don't have to worry about engine damage.

There is a gas station near me that sells non-ethanol mid-grade fuel. I usually put about 5 gallons in my car to make sure all the ethanol is out of the line, then fill the cans for the small equipment.