Earth's Hottest Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Earth's Hottest Month
I used to go ice fishing in the lake behind my parent's house starting when I was about 10 years old. Some years I could get on right after Thanksgiving and last ice was usually the end of March. Then as years have gone by, I could get on between Christmas and New Years and last ice was mid-March. Now, in the past 10 years, I haven't been able to get on the ice until mid-late January and last ice is first of March. The past 2 years, the lake has not frozen over completely. Several people have fallen through and drown.

I've also had to mow my lawn around Thanksgiving that past couple years. We used to stop mowing in late September.

And, we've had extensive fruit damage in spring because things warm up so early that the fruit buds, but we get some late freezes and that nips that in the bud, so to speak.

Spring is about 4 weeks earlier and fall lasts about 4 weeks longer. Winter seems about 6 weeks shorter in total.

I use less and less firewood to heat the house since I installed the woodburner 15 years ago. It's just not as cold.

I only shoveled/plowed the driveway three times last winter and twice the winter before that. It used to be an almost weekly chore.

So, yes, I see evidence of something changing here in the past 50 years.
Mossie I share your observations. Also have you noticed the thousands of dead young Hoosier trees? These trees should be in their prime and certainly not dying. Perhaps they are sending us a message --> Humans, the heat is killing us, either fix Climate Change or you will soon become us! ☠️

/ Earth's Hottest Month #172  
2) This question is moot. We already have the data, and it shows rather conclusively that human impact is significantly adding to the changes underway. You want to believe that it is not. But you do not have data showing anything for your side, only a faith and skepticism of what is now presented and agreed upon by the overwhelming majority of the scientific community.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #173  
Everyone talks about the CO2 levels and that isn't even the doomsday gas they should be talking about. Once the earth warms up a bit more, then the buried Methane hydrates will start to release methane and that will be the game changer. Methane is 20 times more potent than CO2 is. Methane will be released from deep lakes, permafrost once those areas warm a bit more.

Climate change and methane hydrates « World Ocean Review

/ Earth's Hottest Month #174  
I've seen this sentence more than a few times, and i wonder if they are referring to the history of the planet as a whole, or just for the short period of time since life was on it?
Well, since life started about 500 million to 1 billion years after Earth formed, I'd say.. both.

/ Earth's Hottest Month
If the Earth's permafrost melts and releases its methane, we can ALL bend over and kiss our collective butts goodbye!!

/ Earth's Hottest Month #176  
buried Methane hydrates will start to release methane and that will be the game changer. Methane is 20 times more potent than CO2 is. Methane will be released from deep lakes
Sounds like California needs to repurpose some tree huggers into lake huggers! :LOL:

/ Earth's Hottest Month #177  
My personal observations are more of seasonal shift than overall warming or cooling...
over the last 20 years or so I have noticed and noted in kept logs and journals that Falls have been warmer later and Springs have been cooler later...probably out of the last 10 years at least 5 times late spring freezes have damaged peach blossoms...

/ Earth's Hottest Month #180  
The basic timeline of a 4.6 billion-year-old Earth includes the following:

• About 3.5 - 3.8 billion years of simple cells (prokaryotes).
  • 3 billion years of photosynthesis.
  • 2 billion years of complex cells (eukaryotes).
  • 1 billion years of multicellular life.
  • 600 million years of simple animals.
  • 570 million years of arthropods (ancestors of insects, arachnids and crustaceans).
  • 550 million years of complex animals.
  • 500 million years of fish and proto-amphibians.
  • 475 million years of land plants.
  • 400 million years of insects and seeds.
  • 360 million years of amphibians.
  • 300 million years of reptiles.
  • 200 million years of mammals.
  • 150 million years of birds.
  • 130 million years of flowers.
  • 65 million years since the non-avian dinosaurs died out.
  • 2.5 million years since the appearance of ****.
  • 200,000 years since the appearance of modern humans.
  • 25,000 years since Neanderthals died out.

Status
Not open for further replies.