Earth's Hottest Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Earth's Hottest Month #261  
I'm sort of hoping social darwinism will win out, nature thins the herd by eliminating the stupid among us.

As for over population, you could take the entire population of the world (7.9 billion) and fit them all in the city limits of Butte, Montana and no one would have to be touching anyone else. That leaves a lot of empty land.
i'm afraid the govt safety nets have eliminated social darwinism.

example

news just said student loans to be forgiven for people with permanent disabilities

year ago i read that if everyone in Manhattan came out of the buildings at the same time there wouldn't be room for them all.

Last edited:
   / Earth's Hottest Month #262  
Just today a very positive public announcement from Lawrence Livermore Laboratory, regarding a major breakthrough in Laser Fusion. Incredibly they released for a short period of 100 Trillionth of a second(a single pulse), approximately 10% of the suns energy output for that time frame and received back 70% of the energy put into the experiment. Previous efforts had only reached just 3% energy back.

Last edited:
   / Earth's Hottest Month #263  
Lol, ok. Anyway I'm sorry if I'm coming off rude. I don't mind that people disagree on this sh*t, it's been way too political and contentious for far too long now. Skepticism is an important part of science. If your theory can't hold up, it isn't valid.

Personally, I think the data is overwhelming, the climate is heating up and human activity is a significant part of it. That doesn't mean we're going to halt the modern economy, or turn off the power plants. It would just be helpful if the denialists didn't fight back so very, very hard. At least help us clean up the air and water, eh?

deezler, did you comment on the video about data posted earlier in this thread? I'm interested in your opinion on it.

Kevin

/ Earth's Hottest Month #265  
Ok Kev, I sat through the video finally. :p

Fairly well crafted arguments. Honestly, somewhat compelling. Some quick thoughts:
- No data was actually hidden, though. He was easily able to obtain it from public sources, after all. One would certainly hope that professionals, scientists, and policy makers will do their basic research and understand trends beyond the narrow confines of a chopped summary document.
- Sometimes there are legitimate reasons to constrain a trend chart to a certain range. For example, emissions of aerosols did have a real effect on keeping global surface temperatures cooler in the '30s-70s before we curtailed them with regulation. So trends since then are arguably more important.
- The video makers examples were rather narrow.
No one is blaming all current sea level rise on human activity alone. We know that increased global temps will melt more ice, so future sea level rise is FEARED to be worsening. It's not an instant feedback loop. But one only need look to the artic sea to observe a rapidly changing situation over the last decade. It kind of looks like the trend is increasing lately to me. For the majority of adults who agree that human carbon emissions are helping raise global temperatures, its a very easy connection to see how this will accelerate going forward.
12_12_sl-chart-11-2020.jpg

- 90 degree days in a random little Ohio town? awesome. How about 100 degree days in Phoenix? Sure looks like a trend here:
PHX_ge_100.png

Look at the under 32F and over 110F days too. Sh*t is changing, man.

So look, surely there are climate alarmists who are exaggerating their positions to win the battle of public opinion and bring investment to their cause. I wish they wouldn't. Personally, when I examine the data sources of the climate deniers/skeptics, they are much easier to disprove, or trace their funding directly to the fossil fuel industry, who obviously has a vested interest in disagreement on climate change.

I must always acknowledge the possibility of my own confirmation bias. I promise you guys that I really do try to always look at data sources and the motivations behind them. I don't have time to refute everyone's points in here... usually there are some allies willing to pull up the data as well lol.

In a related tangent, the past 2 years has seen my opinion of medical and pharmaceutical science change dramatically - and not for the better. Stay objective, folks.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #266  
90 degree days in a random little Ohio town? awesome. How about 100 degree days in Phoenix?
Scientific observations observed are contrary to what you advocate. Your response is to criticize the town's population size where the measurements were observed? Really? The area where data was collected-- is not populated enough to be relevant????

You offer Phoenix temps as a rebuttal. But if population size is a factor-- isn't it also irrelevant? Compared to New York City, Mexico City, and many others? :LOL:

/ Earth's Hottest Month #267  
It got over a 100 degrees in Phoenix? I don’t believe it, summers are usually cool and pleasant.

Deezler, please understand I’m not insulting you and I totally understand the point you are making, but you cherry pick data. Most people do, they pick the things they want to believe. I posted that people years ago said the earth was cooling. Someone else posted some links that agreed with this theory. You discounted them as being from unreliable sources, which may or may not be true.

I think if the experts just said we THINK, that earth may be warming, we THINK, that people are contributing to this trend, I’d respect them. They don’t use words like maybe or possibly though. I just can’t agree with anybody that insists something is fact on such a complex subject.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #268  
and besides.....the "facts" serve only to confuse me....I think.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #269  
Scientific observations observed are contrary to what you advocate. Your response is to criticize the town's population size where the measurements were observed? Really? The area where data was collected-- is not populated enough to be relevant????

You offer Phoenix temps as a rebuttal. But if population size is a factor-- isn't it also irrelevant? Compared to New York City, Mexico City, and many others? :LOL:
Lol no, I don't care about the town size. My point was that the video maker cherry picked his location to find a trend that fit his viewpoint. So I easily did the opposite in 10 seconds of searching. But again, if you do this across the entire planet... and average it out.... its a clear increasing trend in surface temperatures.
Deezler, please understand I’m not insulting you and I totally understand the point you are making, but you cherry pick data. Most people do, they pick the things they want to believe. I posted that people years ago said the earth was cooling. Someone else posted some links that agreed with this theory. You discounted them as being from unreliable sources, which may or may not be true.

I think if the experts just said we THINK, that earth may be warming, we THINK, that people are contributing to this trend, I’d respect them. They don’t use words like maybe or possibly though. I just can’t agree with anybody that insists something is fact on such a complex subject.
My point exactly, I cherry picked a location, same as the video dude did. But see my response to plowhog above. We have the data.... across the entire planet... it's warming. Not really up for debate. The why is what we can debate. If the climate alarmists are wrong, whats main downside that you are concerned about? Some more regulation on your business and personal vehicles? Taxes? Genuinely curious.

If the climate alarmists are right, on the other hand, you guys are obstructing the only chance we have to save this planet from a lot of human suffering. It's worth protecting our air, just in case.

B5-lDJWCUAAwfya

/ Earth's Hottest Month
I'm sort of hoping social darwinism will win out, nature thins the herd by eliminating the stupid among us.

As for over population, you could take the entire population of the world (7.9 billion) and fit them all in the city limits of Butte, Montana and no one would have to be touching anyone else. That leaves a lot of empty land.
When it involves Climate Change nature is going to eliminate as many Humans as is necessary to clean the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.