Earth's Hottest Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Earth's Hottest Month #291  
Well, here, for example, we have mandatory recycling. So this county can claim that 100% of households participate in recycling. Now drive down the street on recycle day. Many don't have the bins at the curb. Look in the bins. Many are very empty. Look in their trash. Plenty of recyclable items that aren't put in the trash. Look in their driveway. Plenty of large vehicles that are unnecessary. Look in their windows. Many lights are on. Look in their yards. Most have all night security lights. Go to the grocery store. More trucks and SUVs than cars in the lot. Go in the winter. Most of the diesels are idling away. The list goes on and on.

Yes, some conscientious people do try and be as un-wasteful as possible, most do not on a meaningful level.
I make a concerted effort to get the best mileage possible when I drive. I was just talking to my wife about it today as we drove to town in her car. I managed about 32 mpg round trip in a car that is rated for about 22 mpg. In my daily driver that is rated for 34 mpg highway, I achieve over 40 mpg on average during the summer, about 37 in the winter. On fuelly.com, the average for my car is about 30 mpg or 25% less than I get.

I pointed out to her today, if every person on the road drove the way I do for one week, it would cause calamity in the oil and gas industry. There would be an immediate gasoline glut and prices would nose dive. There would be about 25% less gasoline purchased. Now, imagine if every commuter was able to achieve an average of 40+ mpg. I know, I know, go electric...:rolleyes:

Kevin

/ Earth's Hottest Month #292  
Not anymore, that ban went away here on August 1. Now we have to bring our own, or pay for a paper bag, at a price mandated by law.
I prefer paper anyways as a rule but didn't realize how much I reuse those stupid little plastic things until I don't have them anymore.
Now I have to buy something for the same purpose...
We make our own bags from fabric remnants. Sure it costs a little for thread and some for the original material but the remnants would have been pitched or stored for decades anyway.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #293  
Does burning everything but glass and metal in your backyard count as recycling? Asking for a friend...

Kevin

/ Earth's Hottest Month #294  
Well, here, for example, we have mandatory recycling. So this county can claim that 100% of households participate in recycling. Now drive down the street on recycle day. Many don't have the bins at the curb. Look in the bins. Many are very empty. Look in their trash. Plenty of recyclable items that aren't put in the trash. Look in their driveway. Plenty of large vehicles that are unnecessary. Look in their windows. Many lights are on. Look in their yards. Most have all night security lights. Go to the grocery store. More trucks and SUVs than cars in the lot. Go in the winter. Most of the diesels are idling away. The list goes on and on.

Yes, some conscientious people do try and be as un-wasteful as possible, most do not on a meaningful level.

Well that sort of makes my point...rather than spending all the media time and money preaching their AGW blame game every time they get a chance....they should be pushing ways to improve the way individuals can actually do something...like recycle...

IMO there is much more of an effort by whatever factions to make people believe that man is the cause than there is an effort to do anything about it...

/ Earth's Hottest Month #295  
I make a concerted effort to get the best mileage possible when I drive. I was just talking to my wife about it today as we drove to town in her car. I managed about 32 mpg round trip in a car that is rated for about 22 mpg. In my daily driver that is rated for 34 mpg highway, I achieve over 40 mpg on average during the summer, about 37 in the winter. On fuelly.com, the average for my car is about 30 mpg or 25% less than I get.

I pointed out to her today, if every person on the road drove the way I do for one week, it would cause calamity in the oil and gas industry. There would be an immediate gasoline glut and prices would nose dive. There would be about 25% less gasoline purchased. Now, imagine if every commuter was able to achieve an average of 40+ mpg. I know, I know, go electric...:rolleyes:

Kevin
Same. I get more than the rated mpg in my car. And same on fuelly.com. I am way above everyone else with my car. You'd think that would tell everyone else something, but it doesn't :(

/ Earth's Hottest Month #296  
Not anymore, that ban went away here on August 1. Now we have to bring our own, or pay for a paper bag, at a price mandated by law.
I prefer paper anyways as a rule but didn't realize how much I reuse those stupid little plastic things until I don't have them anymore.
Now I have to buy something for the same purpose...
and it cost the retailer more if they don't charge. Guess who'll pay that?

/ Earth's Hottest Month #297  
Does burning everything but glass and metal in your backyard count as recycling? Asking for a friend...

Kevin
Around here that's common if you don't pay for trash service. The items that won't burn are taken to the recycling center in town. No items go to a landfill.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #298  
and it cost the retailer more if they don't charge. Guess who'll pay that?
I don't mind paying for them. It's the part about the state mandating what the business will charge that I don't agree with.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #299  
I don't mind paying for them. It's the part about the state mandating what the business will charge that I don't agree with.
I have a Maine business and I don't charge for bags at all even though the paper ones cost 10X as much.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #300  
I have a Maine business and I don't charge for bags at all even though the paper ones cost 10X as much.
Then you're in violation;

As a retailer, the option of providing carry-out bags for customers is up to you. If you choose to provide carry-out bags, they must meet the requirements outlined in the "FAQs (pdf)" of being either a recycled paper bag or a reusable bag. Single-use plastic carry-out bags banned by this law include recyclable or compostable, biodegradable, or biobased single-use plastic carry-out bags. Also, a minimum fee of 5 cents per bag must be charged. Additional details regarding acceptable bags, the 5-cent fee, and answers to other commonly asked questions can be found in the FAQs (pdf).

As Gomer Pyle would have said; For Shame, For Shame, For Shame! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.