Ecoboost fuel in oil issue

/ Ecoboost fuel in oil issue #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Just a heads up to any ecoboost owners. Apparently there's a potential issue regarding fuel contaminating the oil on some of the ecoboost engines. A buddy of mine had a Blackstone oil analysis on his F150 and had the problem show up. He took it to the dealership and they indicated that there's a technical service bulletin with some fixes, but no recall. Apparently it's something you need to discover yourself and then push the dealer to correct it. New PCV line, reflash and an oil change.

I'm ordering a test kit to see if there's an issue with our 2014 F150.

Anyone else hear about this or have the problem?

/ Ecoboost fuel in oil issue #2  
Just a heads up to any ecoboost owners. Apparently there's a potential issue regarding fuel contaminating the oil on some of the ecoboost engines. A buddy of mine had a Blackstone oil analysis on his F150 and had the problem show up. He took it to the dealership and they indicated that there's a technical service bulletin with some fixes, but no recall. Apparently it's something you need to discover yourself and then push the dealer to correct it. New PCV line, reflash and an oil change. I'm ordering a test kit to see if there's an issue with our 2014 F150. Anyone else hear about this or have the problem?

No problem with mine.

Chris

/ Ecoboost fuel in oil issue #3  
Just a heads up to any ecoboost owners. Apparently there's a potential issue regarding fuel contaminating the oil on some of the ecoboost engines. A buddy of mine had a Blackstone oil analysis on his F150 and had the problem show up. He took it to the dealership and they indicated that there's a technical service bulletin with some fixes, but no recall. Apparently it's something you need to discover yourself and then push the dealer to correct it. New PCV line, reflash and an oil change. I'm ordering a test kit to see if there's an issue with our 2014 F150. Anyone else hear about this or have the problem?

What was the percentage of fuel in the oil?

/ Ecoboost fuel in oil issue #5  
Hadn't heard of that. Hope it's not a problem with our 2014 Escape.

/ Ecoboost fuel in oil issue #6  
I don't own a DI gas engine, yet.

Various manufacturers have had issues with fuel dilution with DI gas engines. That is one reason that some oil change intervals have declined in recent years.

Bob is the Oil Guy is a good resource for checking oil related trends on specific engines.

Rgds, D.

/ Ecoboost fuel in oil issue #8  
Eric has posted somewhere (can't remember which thread....) a detailed list of the mods he's done on his Ecoboost. Worth reading, hopefully he'll link or repost soon.

The issue (potential for increased DI contamination in gassers) has been around for a while:

Fuel dilution in the oil ? - F150online Forums

If you want to read up on actual test results, go to google and type in:

ecoboost fuel dilution site:bobistheoilguy.com

on the search line. You will get links to actual Used Oil Analysis results.

Not all DI gas engines have problems, and not in all years. As I understand it, one reason that Honda was a little late to the DI gas game was that they were doing extended validation on the technology, before putting it into production.

If you have a DI engine (OK, make that any engine) that is visibly "making oil", obviously it needs to be checked out ASAP.

Personally, before I pick up a specific DI gas engined vehicle, I'll be reading up on this issue, along with any other major known problems.

IMO, adhering to a manufacturer's oil spec requirements (and any updates), while always a good idea, is getting to be even more critical - in part, driven by the stress of DI gasoline injection.

Long way of saying..... while the specific output of DI gas engines is impressive (for a production engine), throwing whatever cheap bulk oil into the crankcase and extending the OCI waayyyy out is the Achilles heel of this design...... Not saying that anybody in this thread (or perhaps TBN in general) is in the habit of knowingly stressing a DI engine this way....... I just have an appreciation of how many people commonly neglect even a fairly new vehicle.

Just my :2cents: ...... Rgds, D.

/ Ecoboost fuel in oil issue
So I'm guessing that when they reflashed the computer (I assume they did a software update), what they probably did was change the algorithm for the oil life which makes you change oil more frequently.