Ecoboost fuel in oil issue

/ Ecoboost fuel in oil issue #21  
I also wonder if the reduction of ZDDP is a factor..... seen the front end of a Ford 5.4L apart..... those chains are scary long. Not picking on Ford, I expect the others chains are similar..... As much as I like (short) cam chains, it's not hard to make an argument for timing belts in these applications. Rgds, D.
The Ford 1.0L 3-cylinder EcoBoost has a "lifetime" oil bathed timing belt.
The OHC Honda small engines also use this type of belt.

/ Ecoboost fuel in oil issue #22  
The Ford 1.0L 3-cylinder EcoBoost has a "lifetime" oil bathed timing belt.
The OHC Honda small engines also use this type of belt.

That is a neat variation - I wonder what mega-miles people have already run up on those belts ?

Rgds, D.

/ Ecoboost fuel in oil issue #23  
The timing chains were known to fail on some hemi engines also. When they went to VVT they ran out of room under the timing chain cover and the chain got smaller. Its seemed to fail most often in Challengers, no one exactly figured out why, probably the unique gearing of the car. Chrysler recalled a bunch of them, including my 2010 Challenger and replaced the timing chain and guides for free.

/ Ecoboost fuel in oil issue #24  
The HPFP is also internal so if there is a leak (I know of one), it will leak inside the engine. Turbo engines are kind of known for fuel in the oil anyways. Also, the very long (DOHC) timing chain had had some issue with wear and some think the oil dilution has something to do with it. Some are changing their oil every 3k miles with expensive oil to maybe prevent the chain wear. When the chain gets very loose, most will hear a cold start-up rattle for a couple seconds. The dealer will check for the code for the cams being out of time before repairing under warranty. For some, multiple repairs have not fixed it for long.

I just got my chain and 4 phasers replaced and that appears to be the fix. Looks like the chain stretches and then takes out the phasers. Took three repair attempts before mine got fixed.