EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #61  
Being that the Rams have coil rear springs, it makes sense that it would sag with a light load as coils have less internal friction than leaf springs. That is why they usually ride better with light loads. A coil system normally will not have the axle wrap problem that the light duty leaf systems have either. For heavy loads, you can have different rated leaf springs and overloads while a straight wound coil is one rate. Will Ram use a progressive wound spring or overload bags? They have the air spring suspension but it sounds like they were more worried about ride quality than heavy hauling.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #63  
When the bashers from the Ford side start grasping at straws..............you know this Ram 1500 Diesel must be a good truck for the many more applicable uses :)
Thanks Haoleguy for the more applicable one on one perspective experience you shared.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #64  
The standard box is 5'7"... so unless you are loading it with cast iron, you would be hard pressed to get that much weight in the box.

Throw a tool box on it with 300 lbs; some chains in the bed; shovels; couple hammers; a jumping jack or plate tamp; 10 gallon water keg; 2" of mud on everything; and 4 grown men. That's not counting a ladder or pipe rack. Now; I also don't believe it's that low. I've put 1200 lbs in the bed of a 3.9L Dakota with worn out springs, shocks, brakes, etc and it felt it, but I wouldn't think twice about doing it again.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #65  
Ram's payload includes 150 lbs driver, you can check it in the Towing & Payload Calculator for every model.
Ram Trucks - Towing Capacity Chart

We are discussing the yellow door sticker that does NOT include a driver.

I agree that Ram has a feature on their website that with sliding bars that already includes a 150 lb driver. The door sticker though is the true assembled value for that particular truck.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #66  
I was referring to Dodge and their marketing department.
As for your fix, they were focusing on towing capacity, so I was comparing to vehicles with a like amount of torque and towing capacity. Comparing towing capacities between an engine that has 420LB-FT of torque and one with 278LB-FT of torque is misleading.

Aaron Z
Not if they are comparing the most fuel efficient motors available from each manufacturer.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #67  
Not if they are comparing the most fuel efficient motors available from each manufacturer.

Unfortunately even though the 3.0 is more fuel efficient than the Hemi, the Hemi is cheaper to own and operate thought the life of the truck even when you factor in the better economy. In addition, the Hemi produces more power and will outperform the diesel in towing.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #68  
A little humor...

Towing.JPG

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #69  
I was messing around with the custom build Ram page. It looks like you can get the "Tradesman" in diesel but not the next two middle grades; then the Big Horn. So you can get vinyl seats and crank windows with a diesel, in 4x4; 4 door; for around $34,000 building it. That's not that bad; but if you step up to the Big Horn it's around $38,000. That's pretty steep for a fairly basic truck.