Economics of home delivery

Macinnis

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT3 57 Cab
2 quick comments, the roofers are here and it's raining, again!

Efficient delivery, or inefficient delivery is a component of their cost to sell.

I have pages of notes trying to deal with Amazon customer. service. I'm in a loop and the only human you can talk to is a third party customer service person, non amazon employees!

Amazon is doing quite well financially...regardless of how inefficient you feel their delivery systems are.

If you have spent 6 months trying to get a refund...you probably are not going to get one at this point. In the future, try using their software to get a return/refund, again, it’s super easy.

Tinhack

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 3910, John Deere 420C, Kubota G32XKS, IH 2606, Bad Boy Maverick-60"
US consumers use over 90 million tons of paper each year - a lot of it cardboard from guess where. Is this good use of a resource?
How much is "a lot"? No facts, no point. I bet we use more paper in the bathroom. Is that a good use of a resource? :rolleyes:

Factories ship goods in cardboard boxes. Many food products come in cardboard boxes. You sound like someone who lives at the dinner table and someone else provides for you. :cool:

Next you'll be complaining about killing animals not knowing where meat comes from. :licking:

OP
Frankenkubota

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
Amazon is doing quite well financially...regardless of how inefficient you feel their delivery systems are.

If you have spent 6 months trying to get a refund...you probably are not going to get one at this point. In the future, try using their software to get a return/refund, again, it’s super easy.

I'll tell you what, i've tried and tried to use their system, and i've heard all the stories about how wonderful they are. i will give you all my notes etc and if you get my refund, you can keep the $200.

As far as delivery, I'm not talking about convenience, I know how wonderful it is and i use it! i'm talking about efficiency. And I did say, i don't know because, I really don't know about the economics.

On the surface it seems off the charts a waste of resources but......i don't know.

Seems this place is full of folks with experience in many fields, i just thought someone might understand the economics better than I.

I certainly understand convenience and what people are willing to sacrifice for it, basic economics.

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH, Massey Ferguson & Kubota
How much is "a lot"? No facts, no point. I bet we use more paper in the bathroom. Is that a good use of a resource? :rolleyes:

Factories ship goods in cardboard boxes. Many food products come in cardboard boxes. You sound like someone who lives at the dinner table and someone else provides for you. :cool:

Next you'll be complaining about killing animals not knowing where meat comes from. :licking:

Huh? I mean what are replacing TP with? A rag? shirt sleeves? :laughing:
One is a little more of a necessity than the other, right?

Meats meat and a mans gotta eat!

OP
Frankenkubota

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
t
Huh? I mean what are replacing TP with? A rag? shirt sleeves? :laughing:
One is a little more of a necessity than the other, right?

Meats meat and a mans gotta eat!

Paper was so valuable in ancient Rome they used a communal sponge at the coliseum. That's a pleasant thought.

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
I seldom buy anything off any internet web site. Only if I can not buy it locally. I will do research on a product on the internet sites. This means - probably - two or three visits per year from one of the three delivery companies for something that is not local. I can truthfully say - I've never made a major purchase off any internet site.

We certainly differ greatly in this regard.
I purchase many items using the internet.
A nationwide electronic modern day huge +++++ upgrade to the Sears catalog of my childhood.

What comes to mind: 3 used cars (CL), 2 used tractors (CL), used golf cart (CL), new hand & electric tools, dog food, car parts, tractor implements, tractor parts, malted waffle mix, grass seed, fluorescent fixture LED bulbs (50), etc., etc.
If I need/want it, I look first on the internet.
Why? Price, plus product comparison/reviews, and delivery to my door.

At 80 (on Monday)....why not?
I apply the KISS principle.
I live 30 miles from the nearest medium size shopping center, and I may go there each week.

Last edited:

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Good Lord Frankenkubota. Even the thought of your own personnel reusable sponge is bad enough. But a communal reusable sponge - - beyond gross.

OP
Frankenkubota

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
t
Good Lord Frankenkubota. Even the thought of your own personnel reusable sponge is bad enough. But a communal reusable sponge - - beyond gross.

When in Rome........ Besides that, the holes for your deposit were no more than 6-12 inches apart, shoulder to shoulder so to speak with no dividers Not much social distancing right there! No men's/ladies room either.

Maybe that is the reason for the TP hoarding, it's deep in our Latin DNA? Fear the sponge!

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
I use Amazon a lot. I find their prices competitive and if not, I order from eBay or another on-line retailer.

Just stupid for me to drive 50+ miles round trip to get to town. I figure a round trip on the truck costs at least $10 and over two hours of time.