Economics of home delivery

/ Economics of home delivery #21  
2 quick comments, the roofers are here and it's raining, again!

Efficient delivery, or inefficient delivery is a component of their cost to sell.

I have pages of notes trying to deal with Amazon customer. service. I'm in a loop and the only human you can talk to is a third party customer service person, non amazon employees!

Amazon is doing quite well financially...regardless of how inefficient you feel their delivery systems are.

If you have spent 6 months trying to get a refund...you probably are not going to get one at this point. In the future, try using their software to get a return/refund, again, it’s super easy.

/ Economics of home delivery #22  
US consumers use over 90 million tons of paper each year - a lot of it cardboard from guess where. Is this good use of a resource?
How much is "a lot"? No facts, no point. I bet we use more paper in the bathroom. Is that a good use of a resource? :rolleyes:

Factories ship goods in cardboard boxes. Many food products come in cardboard boxes. You sound like someone who lives at the dinner table and someone else provides for you. :cool:

Next you'll be complaining about killing animals not knowing where meat comes from. :licking:

/ Economics of home delivery
Amazon is doing quite well financially...regardless of how inefficient you feel their delivery systems are.

If you have spent 6 months trying to get a refund...you probably are not going to get one at this point. In the future, try using their software to get a return/refund, again, it’s super easy.

I'll tell you what, i've tried and tried to use their system, and i've heard all the stories about how wonderful they are. i will give you all my notes etc and if you get my refund, you can keep the $200.

As far as delivery, I'm not talking about convenience, I know how wonderful it is and i use it! i'm talking about efficiency. And I did say, i don't know because, I really don't know about the economics.

On the surface it seems off the charts a waste of resources but......i don't know.

Seems this place is full of folks with experience in many fields, i just thought someone might understand the economics better than I.

I certainly understand convenience and what people are willing to sacrifice for it, basic economics.

/ Economics of home delivery #24  
How much is "a lot"? No facts, no point. I bet we use more paper in the bathroom. Is that a good use of a resource? :rolleyes:

Factories ship goods in cardboard boxes. Many food products come in cardboard boxes. You sound like someone who lives at the dinner table and someone else provides for you. :cool:

Next you'll be complaining about killing animals not knowing where meat comes from. :licking:

Huh? I mean what are replacing TP with? A rag? shirt sleeves? :laughing:
One is a little more of a necessity than the other, right?

Meats meat and a mans gotta eat!

t
Huh? I mean what are replacing TP with? A rag? shirt sleeves? :laughing:
One is a little more of a necessity than the other, right?

Meats meat and a mans gotta eat!

Paper was so valuable in ancient Rome they used a communal sponge at the coliseum. That's a pleasant thought.

/ Economics of home delivery #26  
I seldom buy anything off any internet web site. Only if I can not buy it locally. I will do research on a product on the internet sites. This means - probably - two or three visits per year from one of the three delivery companies for something that is not local. I can truthfully say - I've never made a major purchase off any internet site.

We certainly differ greatly in this regard.
I purchase many items using the internet.
A nationwide electronic modern day huge +++++ upgrade to the Sears catalog of my childhood.

What comes to mind: 3 used cars (CL), 2 used tractors (CL), used golf cart (CL), new hand & electric tools, dog food, car parts, tractor implements, tractor parts, malted waffle mix, grass seed, fluorescent fixture LED bulbs (50), etc., etc.
If I need/want it, I look first on the internet.
Why? Price, plus product comparison/reviews, and delivery to my door.

At 80 (on Monday)....why not?
I apply the KISS principle.
I live 30 miles from the nearest medium size shopping center, and I may go there each week.

Last edited:
   / Economics of home delivery #27  
   / Economics of home delivery #28  
Good Lord Frankenkubota. Even the thought of your own personnel reusable sponge is bad enough. But a communal reusable sponge - - beyond gross.

t
Good Lord Frankenkubota. Even the thought of your own personnel reusable sponge is bad enough. But a communal reusable sponge - - beyond gross.

When in Rome........ Besides that, the holes for your deposit were no more than 6-12 inches apart, shoulder to shoulder so to speak with no dividers Not much social distancing right there! No men's/ladies room either.

Maybe that is the reason for the TP hoarding, it's deep in our Latin DNA? Fear the sponge!

/ Economics of home delivery #30  
I use Amazon a lot. I find their prices competitive and if not, I order from eBay or another on-line retailer.

Just stupid for me to drive 50+ miles round trip to get to town. I figure a round trip on the truck costs at least $10 and over two hours of time.