Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one?

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #11  
This may be a ignorant comment on my part but, :confused3:

I have the 540/100 lever on my Mahindra and the single PTO shaft.
My manual ssays to use the proper speed for the attachment used. I know that there are 1000 RPM implements and 540 RPM units. My mower and Cone spreader both say 540 RPM. Am I missing something concerning the PTO speed and proper use? Never heard of Econo PTO until reading this post! :confused: :scratchchin:

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #12  
right off hand i really do not know of many 3pt attachments that require 1000RPM at the PTO. the times i see implements requiring 1000RPMs at the PTO in rear. is when you get up into boarder line cat2 and going into cat 3 sized 3pt hitches. and i would imagine it is a function of allowing more RPM's vs sending massive amounts of torque through a PTO shaft. to transfer the power back to the implement.

the times i do remember 1000RPM implements go to "water pumps" and trash pumps. that are 3pt hitch. but most of the time you can select between model to model for a 1000RPM version vs a 540 RPM version.

well i take above back, balers, square to round balers. some of them come with different option either 540 or 1000RPM version.

============
to above, stay with implements suggested specs, and not try and run a implement rated for 540 RPMs on a 1000RPM PTO shaft.

it all comes down to the gearing and pulleys that get used. and things are built for a specific RPM, and so is your tractor engine and gears and like.

just because something rotate faster does not mean, it will give you the extra force / torque, to get a blade through some ugly thick weeds better.

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #13  
my 7040sud doesnt have it just 540rpm on PTO and my tractors CAT 2 i need reducer sleeves to go to cat 1

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #14  
I am new to tractors getting ready to buy 1st one; JD 5065e. I see the 2013s may be offering an economy 540 PTO. If you do not have an economy PTO can you run your PTO at an engine speed ower than 2400 rpm (rated engine speed)? Doesn't it just reduce power (torque) of PTO and that os OK as long as you are not bogging engine down? I plan on using a bush hog and wood chipper and the 5065e tests out at >55 PTO hp. Do you need to run engine at 2400 rpm or just what ever you can get away with?

The Economy PTO seems to be a feature on some tractors with JD being one. The 540/1000 is not a economy PTO and probably should not be used for that purpose.

See- Understanding economy PTO

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one?
The Economy PTO seems to be a feature on some tractors with JD being one. The 540/1000 is not a economy PTO and probably should not be used for that purpose.

See- Understanding economy PTO

KneeDeep,
This is the second very helpful post you have replied to in my threads. Thank you!

What is economy PTO?
Economy PTO is a feature that allows the operator to run the PTO at 540 rpm, but at a lower engine rpm than the standard PTO rated speed. Depending on the transmission, the 540 economy PTO setting could be as low as 1600 rpm. Economy PTO allows the tractor to operate at the required 540 rpm at the PTO but with lower engine rpm, which saves fuel, reduces vibration, and reduces noise.

Some manufacturers have advertised economy PTO settings that simply reduce the engine rpm only and do not actually change the speed of the PTO shaft. This not only reduces the engine rpm but also reduces the PTO rpm, causing implements to run at slower speeds. Operating a 540 implement at lower than 540 rpm at the PTO reduces its effectiveness.

How does it work?
On John Deere Tractors, the shiftable 540/540E mode operates somewhat like shifting gears on the transmission. By engaging 540E mode, the operator changes the gear reduction ratio keeping the PTO spinning at 540 rpm but lessening the engine rpm. When the operator shifts the PTO into the standard 540 mode, a different gear reduction ratio is used to operate the PTO at 540 rpm at the standard PTO rated speed of the engine.

To operate in economy mode, the shiftable 540/540E must be in 540E mode. Then the throttle can be increased to the appropriate rpm. When in 540E, the tractor has a throttle limiter that keeps the operator from increasing engine rpm over the 540E setting. The limiter is used to prevent accidental over-speeding of PTO implements and protection against binding the PTO shaft.

When to use 540 economy mode?
540 economy is ideal for many applications including mowing, baling, or tilling. The 540 economy setting cannot be used with full advertised PTO horsepower (hp). If full PTO hp is required, the tractor should be run in standard 540 mode.

Nebraska Tractor Test has information regarding 540 economy PTO fuel consumption values for tractors where this option is available.

Details on the engine rpm for standard 540 and 540 economy mode can be found in the tractor's operator's manual.

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #17  
i have mahindra475di tractor i arranged 30kva alternator to the pto shaft my question is at what rpm should i run the engine to get pto shaft at 540 rpm.
on full load and on half load

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #18  
i have mahindra475di tractor i arranged 30kva alternator to the pto shaft my question is at what rpm should i run the engine to get pto shaft at 540 rpm.
on full load and on half load

Run the tractor at whatever RPM gives you 120/240V at 60Hz and that's the correct engine RPM which is not necessarily 540 PTO RPM. (I don't know where ap is located, some places use 50Hz power for instance.) Same answer applies though. My Kubota has only a mark on the tach which is in the area of where you are going to see 540 at the PTO. Gages on the output from the generator/alternator are going to be required to test voltage and hertz.

I don't understand what you mean "full load and on half load" 1 horsepower at the PTO is equal to approximately .75 kw so multiply your PTO horsepower by .75 to determine the largest generator you can utilize. In AC circuits you measure "real power" as KW, KVA is apparent power and is only equal to KW in DC current, not in AC current. KW is a measure of current that does actual work.

Once you have the RPM right, half load or full load doesn't matter in terms of current draw. If you exceed the PTO horsepower with capacity and load you will lose RPM and both the current and cycles will fall, not a good thing. Also running the PTO at full capacity with no excess available will probably result in greater fluctuations as well. Better to be conservative and use the 1 = .75 formula.

Hope this helps and I'm even 98% sure I'm correct........

Last edited:
   / Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #19  
My tractor has 540/540E/1000 pto on it, I use the 540E for just about everything, my discbine uses 1000 rpm and all I do is flip the shaft over and put it back in and I'm automatically running 1000 pto, flip it around again and I'm automatically back to 540 pto, then use the lever in the cab to select 540 or 540E.

I get full 540 rpm's at only 1645 rpm's when in E mode and haven't seen anything so far that required me to go to normal 540 mode.

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #20  
My tractor has 540/540E/1000 pto on it, I use the 540E for just about everything, my discbine uses 1000 rpm and all I do is flip the shaft over and put it back in and I'm automatically running 1000 pto, flip it around again and I'm automatically back to 540 pto, then use the lever in the cab to select 540 or 540E.

I get full 540 rpm's at only 1645 rpm's when in E mode and haven't seen anything so far that required me to go to normal 540 mode.

Hi, I also have a JD 3046R and it has the PTO E symbol on the screen but i cannot figure out for the life of me how to engage PTO-E. I can engage PTO simply by pulling up on the PTO button. Pls help!