Ego zero steer mower review

/ Ego zero steer mower review #12  
So how many batteries do you have total now? And does your machine take up to 6 at a time?

/ Ego zero steer mower review #15  
My experience with batteries is lack of longevity. The test is what are the batteries like in 3 years, and what do they cost to replace?

/ Ego zero steer mower review #16  
My experience with batteries is lack of longevity. The test is what are the batteries like in 3 years, and what do they cost to replace?
So, I just called the aforementioned cousin, who's mowing 2.5 - 3 acres with his Ego. He says he's in his 4th season now, and if there's been any degradation, it's not enough that he's noticed it, given his property size / mowing frequency.

I'm sure the batteries degrade, of course they do. But I don't think it's anywhere near quick enough to be thinking on a 3 year time scale, for most homeowners with a zero turn. They're actually warrantied for 3 years, so you have to expect their fail rate must be near zero, on that time scale.

/ Ego zero steer mower review #17  
So, I just called the aforementioned cousin, who's mowing 2.5 - 3 acres with his Ego. He says he's in his 4th season now, and if there's been any degradation, it's not enough that he's noticed it, given his property size / mowing frequency.

I'm sure the batteries degrade, of course they do. But I don't think it's anywhere near quick enough to be thinking on a 3 year time scale, for most homeowners with a zero turn. They're actually warrantied for 3 years, so you have to expect their fail rate must be near zero, on that time scale.

That's really good. I just had a $200 4 year old battery fail... So I'm a little jaded. Very few EV zero turns out there running on 4-5 years yet

/ Ego zero steer mower review #18  
That's really good. I just had a $200 4 year old battery fail... So I'm a little jaded. Very few EV zero turns out there running on 4-5 years yet
It'll be interesting to see how quickly they fail out of warranty. It's a little bit hard for non-engineering or non-manufacturing customers to understand that a low failure rate near warranty period is actually a sign that you have poor process control. Perfect process control means perfect consistency of product, and therefore better consistency in time to failure, ignoring differences in user profiles.

If you can get your process controls dialed in so well that you know exactly how long a product will last, with zero variability, you can set the warranty just shy of that. Of course then you'll see 100% product failure just after warranty expiration, but if this allows the warranty to be extended from 3 years to 10 years, that's not always bad.

But the poorer your process controls, the more margin you need to allow, as the random failures start ramping in farther and farther ahead of the mean. Wide distributions are bad for marketing and engineering, as they remove the seller's ability to safely advertise longer warranties, due to uncertainty of when first random failures will occur. Longer warranties are always better for sales, ask Hyundai.

So we set warranty at a point where the number of random early failures is acceptable, both financially and reputationally. With a 3-year warranty, we should expect some failures starting in year 4, but hopefully the distribution is wide enough that the number remains very low. I guess we will see!

Now that I've made a point to ask, I'm sure my cousin will let me know as soon as he has his first failure. He's an early adopter, bought one of the first Tesla Model 3's, and has a full fleet of Ego OPE. His batteries get moved from mower, to snowblower, and other machines, so they get more use the average household with e-mower alone.

/ Ego zero steer mower review
My 13yo assistant mowed our yard and said the battery use was only 45%. Since we are away I can't say how tall the grass was but I'd guess it wasn't very tall. He might have been overly enthusiastic about mowing :ROFLMAO:.

/ Ego zero steer mower review #20  
Part of the problem in determining longevity is the variation in how homeowners use and maintain these batteries, especially over the winter.