Electric conversion of a Kubota B26 / Similar

/ Electric conversion of a Kubota B26 / Similar #61  
You’d have to totally strip the tractor transmission and put the electric motors to the wheels to gain anything.
Disagree. One DC electric motor is all that is needed (single power source and speed regulated just like the engine), regardless of how you power it - batteries or generator.
A diesel electric to drive a HST trans is not only pointless it’s a step down in efficiency.
Well, I can't disagree there but I think that was the OP's intent - electric motor to HST. Although there may be room in the differential housing for a pair of nice traction motors.
You’re still burning diesel and you’re still making noise. The only thing you’ve accomplished is wasting a bunch of money, cobbled up your tractor, and made it less reliable than it was to start with.
I worked in R&D for several years. Wasting money on things that worked on paper and cobbling them up to make them work was what we did best.

/ Electric conversion of a Kubota B26 / Similar #62  
Disagree. One DC electric motor is all that is needed (single power source and speed regulated just like the engine), regardless of how you power it - batteries or generator.

Well, I can't disagree there but I think that was the OP's intent - electric motor to HST. Although there may be room in the differential housing for a pair of nice traction motors.

I worked in R&D for several years. Wasting money on things that worked on paper and cobbling them up to make them work was what we did best.

Sure you could bolt an electric motor to the bell housing and drive the trans the same way or originally was and then strap on a diesel generator. But why? You’ve failed at making it quite, you’ve failed at avoiding having to smell or handle diesel, you’ve failed at making a better drive system like a locomotive. You’ve failed at making it more efficient. You’ve failed at pumping your ego about saving the environment. Just taking the diesel powering the generator and bolting it in the tractor would be 100x better.

/ Electric conversion of a Kubota B26 / Similar #63  
Sure you could bolt an electric motor to the bell housing and drive the trans the same way or originally was and then strap on a diesel generator. But why? You’ve failed at making it quite, you’ve failed at avoiding having to smell or handle diesel, you’ve failed at making a better drive system like a locomotive. You’ve failed at making it more efficient. You’ve failed at pumping your ego about saving the environment. Just taking the diesel powering the generator and bolting it in the tractor would be 100x better.
I believe you missed my point entirely. This is R&D, remember? And btw, I failed at nothing. Apparently you have never dealt with concepts before. I digress.

/ Electric conversion of a Kubota B26 / Similar #64  
I believe you missed my point entirely. This is R&D, remember? And btw, I failed at nothing. Apparently you have never dealt with concepts before. I digress.

Usually a r&d project should improve them. What has been improved with this?

/ Electric conversion of a Kubota B26 / Similar #65  
Last edited:
   / Electric conversion of a Kubota B26 / Similar
Wow... go away for a weekend and just watch the conversation wander around!

So
1> The whole point was to get rid of the diesel motor not replace it with another diesel ICE generator that would cost more than just replacing the dead motor. I want a machine that makes minimal noise and it dead quiet when it is not actively working.
2> I do have a bunch of batteries that I got at a killer price, so that is less of an issue. There is indeed about 30+ kWhs of capacity.
3> As many have pointed out, I am thinking that HST drive is unnecessary and wasteful if you have electromotive power, so it seems like a B26 is not the best tractor to try something like this with. So I am going to keep an eye out for a similarly distressed machine that is less cost and can be direct driven
4> Auxiliary power while the machine is working stationary is not a bad idea. I am not sure I would ever keep still enough for a corded solution to work, but a small quiet generator to top up on a longer working day may be an option. That and hot swapping some of the battery pack as it runs low.
As the tractor is not used every day or even every week, a solar panel on the ROPS could top off the batteries even if it takes a week to do so.

Keep the suggestions coming in! I love it! However please bear in mind the original post requirements.
My ideal machine would be all electric most of the time without involving an ICE. The machine would sometimes have to work indoors and you definitely get less sleepy and dizzy if you don't have a carbon dioxide creator belching out fumes right next to you. ;-)

/ Electric conversion of a Kubota B26 / Similar #67  
Not a total solution, but for indoor operation a propane engine might be sufficient if you have some degree of ventilation. We used propane lift trucks extensively in our warehouses. Plus with propane, switching out the tank gets you up and rerunning quickly.

You did not list the tasks (or I missed that part), but what are you doing with the tractor indoors? There may be other ways to get your jobs done.

BTW, we used electric fork lifts at another site and they worked well, but could not be taken to warehouses without charging or spare battery facilities.

Anyway, I am not envisioning why someone would want to run a tractor indoors for very long. Lifting a moving stuff can be done with fork lifts.

Last edited:
   / Electric conversion of a Kubota B26 / Similar #68  
I personally hope your idea works. People that make this stuff work usually have good fabrication skills and are willing to have failures before they have success. I don’t have those skills.One thing is you have battery packs. Do you have the knowledge to calculate if they have enough juice to power the tractor? Construction equipment runs 8 hours a day or more, most homeowner stuff doesn’t. 2 hours of solid use might be enough for you most of the time.

/ Electric conversion of a Kubota B26 / Similar #69  
BTW, we used electric fork lifts at another site and they worked well, but could not be taken to warehouses without charging or spare battery facilities.
Voila!
An electric forklift or stacker with side shift will have everything you'll need to make the conversion to all electric operation - traction motor (gut the HST and install motor) and electro/hydraulic controls. The only real challenge I see is battery compatibility. This is a concept only.

Example:

/ Electric conversion of a Kubota B26 / Similar #70  
Ok, then just diesel-electric. Simple concept using DC motor and generator. Speed and power are directly related to engine RPM up to governed speed.
Diesel-electric "hybrid" locomotive controls the alternator field to regulate truck drive and speed, not engine RPM.