Electric Sprayer Control

/ Electric Sprayer Control #1  

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.
I need electric sprayer controls for my booms. Have done a good bit of internet looking and find very little info on the capacity of the controller. One says it supplies 8 GPM at a certain pressure only thing is there are three sections to the controller and is that per each solenoid valve or for the three. One for each boom arm and third for the boom behind the tank. That is the most info have been able to get from any source so far. thank you. kt

/ Electric Sprayer Control #2  
Are they 12 volt? I used a standard light switch for quite awhile, but now I just pull it out of the cigarette lighter to turn it off and plug it in to tour it on. I installed one of my tractor and one on my Mule. Simple, cheap and easy to use

/ Electric Sprayer Control #3  
I have been looking at some 12v valves on ebay and for me I was going to use momentary push button switches. Any 12v switches from the auto parts store would work. I was just going to fab a small box to hold my switches. I am doing a smaller system than you but the idea is the same. Ed

/ Electric Sprayer Control #4  
biggest issue is "max pressure" rating for the valve. you need to find spec's on the pump for max pressure it can produce, and max GPM it can produce. once that info is obtained from pump. then can start looking for valves.

/ Electric Sprayer Control
Thanks for the thoughts but let me provide more info, some should have thought of to begin with. Sorry.
This is not a ATV or spot sprayer but a agriculture 500 gallon trailer sprayer with 30 feet of boom. The center boom is about 6 feet wide and the two side booms are about 12 feet long. The reason for the control valve is to select which boom or booms you need to spray on that run through the field for what ever reason.

My current pump has 22 gpm capacity at 850 RPMs and zero pressure but I run 540 rpms at about 60 psi so and the max pressure for the pump is 300. Relief valve is set no higher than 100 psi. The valves have to stand up to tru agriculture chemicals and not be one season use to rebuild or replace.

The following are two I am considering:
Sprayer Control System With 3 Solenoid Valves | Agri Supply, 89768
Electric Sprayer Controls, Sprayer Control System, Solenoid Shutoff | Agri Suppl

Thank you for each comment. kt

/ Electric Sprayer Control #6  
Always a surprise when somebody on here has some serious equipment and not a home made, good enough, set up!!!

/ Electric Sprayer Control #7  
if you had an open-station (non-cab). with a PTO pump. that connects direct to pto snub on back of tractor. you could most likely get away with something costing less.

spray tank valve setup.png

quick connect couplers (banjo coupler) you should be able to find 125PSI versions on the cheap made out of sch 80 pvc.

1/4 turn on/off ball valve. double check they are full port. (when you open them up there is no reduction inside)

manifold needs to be all "metal" any plastic for Tees, 90's, short nipples / pipes = cracking / busting due to simple vibration and a little tugging from hoses. black pipe just appeared first on list. aluminum might work, but unknown about corrosion of agriculture chemicals.

pressure gauges i just picked something. "the very top left guage" = main system pressure gauge. then each boom / wing has its own pressure gauge.

the manifold needing to be metal (pipes / tees / valves) in it. is due to most likely only a couple straps to hold the manifold in place. plastic would just bust out. having sch80 quick connects. *shrugs* you do not need them. but may make things easier, quick connects being plastic. there should be less force being placed on them. more so if you put a couple hanger pipe/hose clamps around them.

a different way of thinking about it... is adding 4 hydraulic rear remotes ((errr 4 water rear remotes)) on tractor.

/ Electric Sprayer Control #8  
Thanks for the thoughts but let me provide more info, some should have thought of to begin with. Sorry.
This is not a ATV or spot sprayer but a agriculture 500 gallon trailer sprayer with 30 feet of boom. The center boom is about 6 feet wide and the two side booms are about 12 feet long. The reason for the control valve is to select which boom or booms you need to spray on that run through the field for what ever reason.

My current pump has 22 gpm capacity at 850 RPMs and zero pressure but I run 540 rpms at about 60 psi so and the max pressure for the pump is 300. Relief valve is set no higher than 100 psi. The valves have to stand up to tru agriculture chemicals and not be one season use to rebuild or replace.

The following are two I am considering:
Sprayer Control System With 3 Solenoid Valves | Agri Supply, 89768
Electric Sprayer Controls, Sprayer Control System, Solenoid Shutoff | Agri Suppl

Thank you for each comment. kt

are you wanting a completely package? or a full DIY project, buying individual valves, making own wire harness, making own switch area in / on tractor?

the links you noted are either ON or OFF there is no partially opening valve. if spray tank and booms all get going at an angle say going across a hill. the lower spray nozzles going to get more liquid, than the higher spray nozzles (within reason)

===========
if all you want is easy on/off electrical. the couple links you noted in your post. from initial glance look like nice setups. wire harness, plugs for the harnesses, easy mount box that holds switches. looks like it comes within inline fuse and wiring to battery.

to note it: most places "dumb stuff down" when pumping lidquid / air there fittings and pipes and valves. and end result of the dumb'ing stuff down is statements of 8GPM. you can pump more through the fittings / valves but it will take some extra pressure from pump to push through the valves and fittings. more pressure normally means more friction. (end result fittings / valves heat up more "within reason")

if you keep with same size "INSIDE DIAMETER" of connection coming off pump and through valves and hoses. you should be ok. (without getting into niddy griddy math). if pump has 3/4" inside diameter, then keep everything 3/4" inside diameter on your fittings / valves / hoses / pipe. i do not really like giving a blanket statements like this. but *shrugs* KISS (keeping it simply stupid).

/ Electric Sprayer Control
Always a surprise when somebody on here has some serious equipment and not a home made, good enough, set up!!!
Too funny. I did buy the rig used and have had to replace the boom but it is true professional rig. This is not my most expensive piece of equipment but maybe the one I am most proud of. If for not other reason really like the 500 gallon tank! My one thought on a sprayer tank this size is consider baffling in the tank to help with stopping a partly filled tank. It will rock my tractor.

boggen As to open station or platform that is what I am using but moving to tractor with cab is reason I am needing to make the change. Current use manual TeeJet selector which works good if you can reach it.

boggen We do not have hilly ground, we are considered flat land so leaning spray is not an issue (unless you drop it in ditch, lol). But I am puzzled by the concern over leaning booms. The nozzles have very specific capacity to them, they are where I always begin in capacity and work backwards to be sure the system's pump and in this case controls with be at least as large as their max need would be. If the pump and valves are sending more the booms than the total of the nozzles on it can handle how does the uphill side get cheated in volume? Not saying it does not happen and it seems you have experience with spraying on slopes or hills.

I was told yesterday the 8 GPM they quote is per valve which will suit my need. I felt it had to be per valve and why they do not tell you that amazes me. Even one of the manufacture's web site does not.

thanks to each of you and if you have other thoughts please do share.

/ Electric Sprayer Control #10  
i am more use to spray bars in goldfish / pond filter setups, and limited amount of boom setups for sprayers.

water will flow to least resistance path available to it. electricity follows path of least resistance, just like water and air.
other words. if you take a single hose. and T off it for each spray nozzle. the first nozzle most likely get the most water coming out of it. vs the spray nozzle clear out at end of the boom.
when booms get tilted (running across a slope) the lower boom (down hill) will see more water due to path of least resistance, while the upper boom (up hill) the water would need to pump water up higher (causes more resistance) to push the water up to the spray nozzles.

say you ran 20 feet of 3/8" hose from manifold / valves to right wing boom., and then 10 feet of 3/4" hose to left wing boom. the left wing boom will see more water coming out of the boom. (longer the hose = more resistance, smaller inside diameter = more resistance) water flow through path of least resistance. and the left wing has shorter hose and larger inside diameter of hose.

==========
get yourself setup with the new valves. and then fill tank up with just water. run the booms for a few minutes to get any air in the system out. take a kitchen measure container clear (glass or plastic), and put it under each nozzle. and time it for each nozzle, to see how long it takes to fill a few cups worth of water. you may find a boom or nozzle way out of adjustment compared to others.

retry test, at a LOW / MED / HI RPM settings. you will more likely see larger differences at a "high RPM of the PTO pump" you may find issues at low end of the RPM's as well. results may change how spray rig is used / setup / driven.