Electric vehicles during a disaster

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #81  
Anyone bought an electric farm tractor lately?

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #82  
Well, here roads are not straight or flatt, it really takes time to drive.
I would imagine that the majority of drives in Norge are less than 200 miles. It is only 189 or so between Bergen and Oslo. Something on the order of 25% of the population lives in those two metro areas.

I had a girlfriend in HS from Bergen (exchange student). She said that compared to the US, people walk, bicycle, or ski to commute much more in Norge.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #83  
Are people who evacuate really going that far? What's the typical evacuation? 50 miles maybe? Unlike an ICE, an EV does not use power unless it's moving, so getting stuck in a huge traffic jam is just a delay.
Here on the Texas coast, people sometimes have to evacuate up to 200+ miles, not all because of the storm, but availability of hotel rooms or shelters. It gets gridlocked bad. Cell phone usage is just a trickle of normal. People evacuate with food, water, full gas cans, clothing.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #84  
Are people who evacuate really going that far? What's the typical evacuation? 50 miles maybe? Unlike an ICE, an EV does not use power unless it's moving, so getting stuck in a huge traffic jam is just a delay.
So you are now a Myth Buster?

Keep in mind the loss of Reality can leave one in the Land of Mythology. :)

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #85  
Well unless you use AC or heat, then you are using power. Also if recharging or powering electric devices

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #86  
YOU may live your life responsibly, but the average licker of 2-scoops while staring into a cell phone is what you gotta worry about. Those dummies will hit the road with 10% charge running the AC and end up blocking lanes.

Then what? How you get a tow truck to them? Or dozens of them?
If an ICE runs out of gas, there’s always a way to get a couple gallons in them quick and get moving.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #87  
I encounter a couple of those tater heads on the interstate on my commute to and from work. Average traffic speed is 80mph.

Then you encounter that one idiot in the hammer lane needing to remove their head from their rectum.
Is that what they’re lookin down at? I thought it was their cell phone?

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #88  
I too do not know. I did have an old farm truck parked in a bottom field that flooded. Motor locked up and it cost a bundle to get it repaired. I assume an EV under water would also be catastrophic.
Let’s find out!

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #90  
There was thread recently asking "Are you a prepper?". I'm more of a Just In Caser than a Prepper. Part of that is looking at the EVs. All of the vehicles manufacturers are working towards Bi-directional batteries now. The power company out here (PG&E) is also working on V2G/V2H charging systems. These are vehicle to grid / vehicle to home systems that will allow your grocery getter to be a battery back for your house. This going to happen. I am definitely looking forward to it.