Electric vehicles during a disaster

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #152  
I can't wait until the first new development that actually makes a difference in a major technology that is created by AI... it's coming
AI will say easiest way to fix problems is to eliminate humans. ;)

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #154  
Well, to your last point, they are getting cheaper. The Chevy Bolt is around $30k, and the Nissan Leaf starts at under $30k. Both would do great for 90% of American car trips, per @CobyRupert's post above.

Most EV owners that I know charge in the middle of the night; rates are lower, so I am personally doubtful that more than a couple of idiots are actually charging during peak hours, especially hereabouts. Even though I plug in my hybrid when I get home, it doesn't charge until the rates drop, which is at midnight here, though in the summertime, it charges off of solar during the day, all by programming the car. Now that I think about way more than half of the EV owners that I know around here own solar as well. (No idea how representative that is. Purely an anecdote.)

I'm envious of the EV owners in Texas who have free nights and weekend electricity rates. As an example of unintended consequences, and uninformed risk taking by consumers, I find the whole Texas electricity market and electricity production fascinating.

At the moment, our solar powered batteries are backing up the grid as part of 2,341 solar/battery owners who volunteered to supply power during peak demand times (we are in a heat wave at the moment). Apparently a little over 16MW of stored solar is flowing back to help the grid distributed across California.

For sure the country needs more power to be able to replace gasoline. Change takes time, especially for large infrastructure projects, like energy and water. In principle, have lots of EVs could/should stabilize the grid through varying demand. Water is a different story.

Rome wasn't built in a day; I am sure that EVs are going to evolve into lots of different niches, and the infrastructure will take awhile to get built out.

Once you get one, you realize just how inexpensive they are to run per mile. Really inexpensive.

All the best,

Peter
Lot of logic here, and would be easy to agree with.

Problems from my perspective:

We are artificially inflating the price of gas. We are giving tax incentives to consumers and producers of EVs.

That is not what government should do, but let's say they go against my will and do it:)

When all the folks have been weened off of gas cars, and there is no tax revenue to pay for roads (or however they waste it), how do you think they will recover that?

When you need a car that meets 100% of your needs instead of 90% what will you do when the only choice is the 90%?

I hate being told what to do........ I maybe too old to fight all the fights, but, I am sure not going to smile and look on the bright side!

best,

ed

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #155  
Yep, 'Those very folks' are us. We keep complaining about the speed limit being too slow, so up it goes.
So you were the one complaining about high speed limits in the 70s. I don't know anybody that thought the speed limit was too high but they dropped it to 55 back then. Thanks a lot!

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #156  
Yep, 'Those very folks' are us. We keep complaining about the speed limit being too slow, so up it goes.
Maybe our “betters” should ignore the complainers about the low speed limits and keep the speed limit at 55, to “save the planet”, of course.
After all, its “for the children”

Last edited:
   / Electric vehicles during a disaster #158  

I believe he’s referring to the 70‘s energy crisis where the amazingly popular & successful president Jimmy Carter lowered the national speed limit to 55 to save fuel. Which actually does work, but was highly unpopular to those who wanted to get anywhere quickly.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #159  
When all the folks have been weened off of gas cars, and there is no tax revenue to pay for roads (or however they waste it), how do you think they will recover that?

Do not fear; there will be revenue collected from vehicle owners for road maintenance!

Many different ways to do it.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #160  
I believe he’s referring to the 70‘s energy crisis where the amazingly popular & successful president Jimmy Carter lowered the national speed limit to 55 to save fuel. Which actually does work, but was highly unpopular to those who wanted to get anywhere quickly.
Back when I lived in Pennsylvania the 55 mph speed limit wasn't much of a burden. The way the roads twist and wind around all the hills, many places you can't even drive 55. And there's a town every few miles and a city generally within 50 miles. So no need to travel any real distance. But out here in Nevada and other western states with wide open spaces the 55 mph speed limit was a real burden. Many roads are straight and level; you can see for miles down the road and traffic is light. But cities are many miles apart. It is 520 miles between Reno and Salt Lake City, with only 4 small towns in between them. Case in point - this past Monday I had to travel to Reno to see an ophthalmologist. That put 402 miles on my truck's odometer that day, but that was the closest ophthalmologist to me. Can't even imagine having to drive that at 55.

So a speed limit that works for one area doesn't necessarily make sense for another area. And why an EV makes a lot of sense some places but not so much in others.