Electric vehicles during a disaster

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #161  
Do not fear; there will be revenue collected from vehicle owners for road maintenance!

Many different ways to do it.
Yup. Nevada is already mandating reporting the odometer reading of a vehicle when the registration is renewed, collecting mileage data. We all know where that is leading - a "per mile" tax.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #162  
Yup. Nevada is already mandating reporting the odometer reading of a vehicle when the registration is renewed, collecting mileage data. We all know where that is leading - a "per mile" tax.
Pennsylvania has been doing this for many years and so far, have not instituted a per mile tax. Mileage reporting is on the honor system with no way to verify. Garages who do state inspections have no way of knowing the mileage you report and do not submit the odometer reading to the state.

This could change in the future but so far, there are no "odometer cops" on the scene yet.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #163  
As far back as i can remember Washington state has had a honor system mileage reporting too on when registering. I thought it was more of a fraud reduction attempt. So for instance car A sold and mileage was reported to be 1000, car A sells and when it's reregistered, it's mileage was reported to be 500.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #164  
Back when I lived in Pennsylvania the 55 mph speed limit wasn't much of a burden. The way the roads twist and wind around all the hills, many places you can't even drive 55. And there's a town every few miles and a city generally within 50 miles. So no need to travel any real distance. But out here in Nevada and other western states with wide open spaces the 55 mph speed limit was a real burden. Many roads are straight and level; you can see for miles down the road and traffic is light. But cities are many miles apart. It is 520 miles between Reno and Salt Lake City, with only 4 small towns in between them. Case in point - this past Monday I had to travel to Reno to see an ophthalmologist. That put 402 miles on my truck's odometer that day, but that was the closest ophthalmologist to me. Can't even imagine having to drive that at 55.

So a speed limit that works for one area doesn't necessarily make sense for another area. And why an EV makes a lot of sense some places but not so much in others.
Easy, you just put the car in auto mode and either sleep or take care of business. :rolleyes: It's not so bad going from 60MPH to 80 or more, but when you've been driving for hours at 90MPH and all of a sudden hit, yet another accident/road work etc, it feels like you could just step out of your car and trot along side it.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #165  
My brother just ordered a electric Silverado. Each to their own I guess.

Curious to see how it does.

Not gonna start building them til next august and by then the gen 3 battery will be out.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #166  
Electric vehicles during a disaster. You mean kind of like right now. Folks in CA told to not charge their EV's because of the extreme heat. They are being told - "buy" but don't recharge.

I fear this entire EV situation will go over like a fart in church.

Hey - sure I will loan you my Tesla. BTW - it has the self driving feature - enjoy.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #167  
Electric vehicles during a disaster. You mean kind of like right now. Folks in CA told to not charge their EV's because of the extreme heat. They are being told - "buy" but don't recharge.

Hey - sure I will loan you my Tesla. BTW - it has the self driving feature - enjoy.
Yep, what's going on in CA is definitely going to be a wake-up call

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #168  
Doofy - I can just see you in an EV - middle of the winter - trying to make it all the way to Palmer to recharge.

NOT A PLEASANT THOUGHT. No, until things improve a whole lot - EV's will not be the "WAY" for the majority.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #169  
Don’t get too carried away about power supply. The distribution grid is old and needs updating. It’s designed around large generating stations meaning power loss in transmission. With wind and solar in numerous locations fewer line losses
Different ways to more effectively use power will be developed. Note all the city building lights on all night to stabilize the grid. Use of off peak power for thermal heating storage might happen.

/ Electric vehicles during a disaster #170  

Just to clarify, the actual request was not to charge electric vehicles during peak demand times, e.g. 5-8pm. As indicated elsewhere electric vehicle owners tend to charge whenever the rates are at the lowest, I.e. the middle of the night. I can't recall ever having charged during peak times.

Bottom line: this was a non-issue for electric vehicle owners.

We made a chunk of change last night exporting power from our batteries to the grid because of the high demand. ($2.k/Wh) I expect this sort of export in times of grid need to become more common with increasing home battery installations, and more electric vehicles that have bidirectional chargers that can export power. Of course, with time, I expect the price to drop a little, but not much. The price paid was the spot price for power last night.

All the best,

Peter