Electric Winch for pulling logs/river debris after floods

/ Electric Winch for pulling logs/river debris after floods #31  
This will allow you to pull materials without the worry of overheating nor batteries. Good control as you are pulling. Little maintenance and moderately priced.

I used a larger version when I worked on the oil rig and it is amazing what it will do for you.

/ Electric Winch for pulling logs/river debris after floods #32  
If you don't have some type hydraulic power ports on your tractor, Gee Ray's contribution will get expensive.
Forget the electric winch. If you do not plan on any logging beyond your stream side, I wouldn't invest in a pro logging winch either.

John Mc already gave you very good solution and that is the capstan winch. Any rope length, 2200 lbs of pull , relatively quick and powered by its own engine.
Not a large investment for what you want to do. Portable Winch Co. PCW5000 2200-lb. Gas-powered Portable Capstan Winch$1,595.99Sportsman's Guide

/ Electric Winch for pulling logs/river debris after floods #33  
Edit: looks like I was overthinking it, maybe a 1/4" wire rope will be sufficient.
50' of this with a chain attached at the end with a grab hook will do a lot of work. I've used this method extensively logging in dense woods.

/ Electric Winch for pulling logs/river debris after floods #34  
Well, I almost bought a forestry winch, but after deciding on a model (Hud-son) I learned they don't have any.
I suspect forestry winches are a hot item this year, as I think there will be an oversupply of people making lumber this year.
Maybe I'll pick one up on the cheap in a year or two if I still need one.
So I revisited this thread, and leaning towards a Sapsan winch

1) it's light
2) I don't have to take off my backhoe, which works really well as a counter-weight to heavy boulders and logs I carry with a grapple
3) it gives a bit more flexibility on winch placement (vs where tractor can go)
4) its limits on capacity (2200lb) can be addressed with pulleys
5) it's half the price
6) it's available
7) it uses rope vs steel cable, which is probably work out good for my hands

A "Sapsan" winch? Is that a typo for "capstan" winch?

Are you considering something like what was linked in post #14? I don't own one myself, but have used one on several occasions. They can really come in handy.

/ Electric Winch for pulling logs/river debris after floods
Capstan is what I meant.. and yes, I am getting from Sportsman's Guide, they seem to have the best deal.
Edited/fixed earlier typo.

Yay.. I'll share results later.
  • Portable Winch Co. PCA-1269 Tree Mount Winch Anchor with Strap
    Current Price:$112.49

• Portable Winch Co. PCW5000-FK Portable Gas-Powered Winch Forestry Kit
    Current Price:$1,808.96
  • Coupon
    -$20.00
  • WV Sales Tax:
    $115.29
  • Package Protection:
    $0.99
  • Total:
    Current Price:$2,017.73

Last edited:

The Norwood is cool.. It may have been suggested earlier, not sure how I missed it.
I especially like the price! (and I do have hydraulics in the back for the backhoe)

I think the con of it is due to it's light weight, I won't be able to haul anything with the grapple, and would have to skid whatever I pull, not a good option for me as I need to minimize dragging and tear up turf. The pro is probably it can do more than the portable one.

/ Electric Winch for pulling logs/river debris after floods #37  
Capstan is what I meant.. and yes, I am getting from Sportsman's Guide, they seem to have the best deal.
Edited/fixed earlier typo.

Yay.. I'll share results later.
  • Portable Winch Co. PCA-1269 Tree Mount Winch Anchor with Strap
    Current Price:$112.49

• Portable Winch Co. PCW5000-FK Portable Gas-Powered Winch Forestry Kit
    Current Price:$1,808.96
  • Coupon
    -$20.00
  • WV Sales Tax:
    $115.29
  • Package Protection:
    $0.99
  • Total:
    Current Price:$2,017.73
I am interested in your feelings on this when you receive it and get use on it. I have a lot of downed ash that I can't drive up to with my tractor to haul out. This could be used multiple times if needed to, to get it oriented correctly. I wonder why the price difference from arrow's above post? Thanks, Jon

/ Electric Winch for pulling logs/river debris after floods #38  
At 2,200 pounds pull you will probably skid you tractor if something get hung up or you tie onto something to heavy....

Dale

I wonder why the price difference from arrow's above post?
I got a forestry kit (comes with a few accessories, which is about $400 standalone, or you can get it bundled with the winch), and I got SG member discount. If you're an SG member works out very well compared to Amazon, etc.

Last edited:
   / Electric Winch for pulling logs/river debris after floods #40  
I too am exploring practical reasonably priced winches for moving logs. As stated, low duty cycle is a drawback with battery powered electrics. I just stumbled on hydraulic winches that run off a vehicle's power steering pump. Has anyone here had experience with these and do you think they'd hold up moving logs?

One of many I saw on Amazon is below.

Last edited: