Electrical/Battery issue

/ Electrical/Battery issue #21  
My multi-meter is not one of the"cheap" ones and yes it comes on very handy so many times.

I thought back in June that it was the starter and had it tested. It tested fine. To a degree I still suspected it but it tests fine. What I don't know is if the test will detect a single bad spot that randomly gets stopped on.

I just have to wait for the next gremlin to show up. These intermittant bugs are a royal pain.

I used to rebuild starters and generators for spare cash at the repair shop.
Typically you test the armature & commutator when it is out of the starter during the rebuild. It's rare to have either go wrong, but it does happen. Usually it is the brushes though...
You could test the armature to see if all the commutations had continuity with a VOM after assembly, but it would require getting access to the commutator & brush assembly.

/ Electrical/Battery issue #22  
When you found the bad ground cable, did you replace the positive battery cable?
I would guess they used the same type cable just a different color insulation, if it was not replaced, that could be a part of your trouble. Low amps combined with a secondary issue could cause your no start.