Electrical test meters,,,got one ?

/ Electrical test meters,,,got one ? #1  

Willl

Elite Member
If not, why not ?

A lot of threads on 'no starts/no cranks/no charge' and others, would really benefit if the OP 'had/and or' knew how to use a electrical test meter.

And for this tractor stuff, you don't need a fancy one. 10 bucks max will do ya.

If ya don't know how to use one, just ask. They CAN be simple and easy to use, if you just let them.

/ Electrical test meters,,,got one ? #2  
If anything has a electrical componet you need a test meter to properly repair.
Recently a dairy man was going to purchase a new milking pulser because one had failed. showed him with Ohm meter just a voltage coil was open cost about $3.00 to purchase another. a saving of about $800.00
another man was going to purchase a new Alt. for his tractor until showed him it was a bad battery.
bad wire connections circuit breakers a volt ohm meter is the first part of tool box to use.
Good Forum question
ken

/ Electrical test meters,,,got one ? #4  
I have a Fluke for the important stuff and a Harbor Freight one that cost like $3 with a coupon. Truth be told, the cheap one gets used more often as I have zero fear of it getting broke, lost, etc.

/ Electrical test meters,,,got one ? #5  
I've had a slew. Now i like the 20$ "Ideal" they sell at lowes, has all the useful functions and none of weird ones.

/ Electrical test meters,,,got one ? #6  
Very useful device. There are books on how to use them. Radio Shack probably still has one. There are videos on the web also.

/ Electrical test meters,,,got one ? #8  
I really like the audible continuity buzzer on one of digital meters,I invariably end up lying on my back unable to see the readout when I am chasing electrical shorts on my vehicles. .....Craig

/ Electrical test meters,,,got one ? #9  
Same here. I use the audible continuity buzzer all the time. It is a great diagnostic tool for electrical shorts or breaks.

/ Electrical test meters,,,got one ? #10  
I agree.

While the cheapo ones arent really precise for working on fine components, and I wouldnt trust them working on 480v+, they are just fine for many common auto and tractor issues where precision isnt really important, and getting shocked is unlikely.

Those smaller ones test voltage and continuity pretty good. But when checking things like circuits and coils that need a certain ohms resistance, or even MegaOhms, I use a better meter.