Electrical wiring question

/ Electrical wiring question #1  

widefat

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 Husq GT52XLS Husqvarna LC121P Husq 455 Rancher Stihl FS90 Stihl MS170 99 Ram 1500
Here's what I have -
I am putting in a door from our kithen to back porch.
The door is between two windows.
At the door, I need a 3-way switch for the interior light, and a single-pole for the exterior light over the door.

After adding all of the structural support and door framing, I only have room for a single gang box between the door and window.

If I could find a single gang, two-switch appliance that will let me wire the 3-way to one switch, and two way to another, I would be golden.
somthing like this - Shop Eaton 2-Switch 15-Amp Single Pole White Toggle Indoor Light Switch at Lowes.com

But, with one side as a 3-way and the other as a single pole. I have not found such an animal, but though I would ask.

The alternative is two single gang switches, same 2x4, one on top of the other. I dont like it, but the wife is ok with it.

/ Electrical wiring question #3  
You can use a 3way as a single pole. Just only use one of the traveller contacts as the switched hot and leave the other traveller terminal unconnected to any wires. If you pick the right traveller contact, then the switch will even be in the right position, like a regular SP. 50/50 shot of being 100% wrong on the first try :D

/ Electrical wiring question #4  
MDD has the answer. Putting all that wire and 2 switches into a singe gang box can be a challenge. Be sure and get the extra deep box, full 3" deep. Bring out only single wires for the switches and stuff all the splicing deep into the box first.

Ron

/ Electrical wiring question #5  
Saw this one at Lowe's-
Hubbell 2-Switch 15-Amp Single Pole 3-Way White Toggle Indoor Light Switch Item # 772068 Model # RC103WZ
Looks like a 3-way and single pole combo

/ Electrical wiring question
Saw this one at Lowe's-
Hubbell 2-Switch 15-Amp Single Pole 3-Way White Toggle Indoor Light Switch Item # 772068 Model # RC103WZ
Looks like a 3-way and single pole combo
That will work!
Thanks all for the responses.

/ Electrical wiring question #7