electrically operated ball valve

/ electrically operated ball valve #1  

jonsstihl

Veteran Member
I'm looking at building a ride control (hydraulic accumulator) system similar to the ride control (comfort ride) offered by wr long but I want mine to have a switch in the cab to turn it off and on.

anyone have a clue what I would need to look for in terms of an electronically operated ball valve to isolate the accumulator from the lift circuit. I am mainly looking for something small enough to make it easier to install.

I may end up buying the wr long kit and changing out the ball valve for an electric version.

I need help with the terminology. I don't need a diverter valve I just need something to open and close electronically to give the lift circuit access to the accumulator.

thanks

/ electrically operated ball valve #2  
Just a solenoid operated valve. Maybe a DO3 or DO5 depending on the flow requirement. Princess Auto?

/ electrically operated ball valve #3  
Do a search for normally open or normally closed poppet style cartridge valves.

These are low leakage valves designed for this type of use.

Companies like Hydraforce, Delta Power Co., Bucher, etc. all make this style of valve.

/ electrically operated ball valve #4  
Not seen any solenoid operated ball valves.

Would a poppet valve work? Here is a NC (normally closed) version.
Hydra Force 12 Volt DC NC Solenoid Valve | Hydraforce | Brands | www.surpluscenter.com

They have a normally open version too.
Hydra Force 12 Volt DC NO Solenoid Valve | Solenoid Valves | Hydraulic Valves | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

Choose NO or NC depending on if you want to interrupt the flow intermittently or open intermittently. You want the solenoid energized the least amount of time.

/ electrically operated ball valve #5  
My JD 640 loader suspension has an electric ball valve at the accumulator. You can find it at jdparts.com

/ electrically operated ball valve
thanks for all the suggestions the jd part would be handy since I have a dealer on my way to work but it may be 5X the price of a standard valve.

for a loader application I would think I would want it normally closed since ride control would get used only when travelling at higher speeds.

/ electrically operated ball valve #7  
There are several suppliers of ball valve actuators,
the difficulty will be selecting a valve with a high enough pressure rating.
Here are a few;
Hanbay | Ball Valves

I believe you will be better served by a ball valve then a solenoid,
or an electrically actuated hydraulic valve, most solenoids will have a very small port for fluid flow.

I would have to be careful with the direction of mounting since they seem to double as a pilot operated check valve with a pressure setting of 50 - 150 psi

the only thing that has me worried is the 3000psi rating. with shock loads I may exceed that in a loader application

/ electrically operated ball valve #9  
Agree, valve should be normally closed. I also believe that on ride control there is a one way orifice that limits how fast the oil can exhaust from the accumulator to prevent the loader from going into excessive oscillation. This allows the oil to enter the accumulator to absorb the bounce and prevents the accumulator from discharging rapidly causing the loader to raise rapidly and over shoot. Similar to the dampening in a shock absorber.

You will also have to determine the accumulator size and pre-charge pressure for the ride control to be effective. For reference accumulators are typically pre-charged with nitrogen to approximately 70 - 80% of operating pressure. Not sure what "standard" pre-charge is for ride control though.

the tractor only generates around 10gpm of hydraulic flow and the valve would be in the T to the accumulator so it would not see full system flow only the flow from the bouncing of the cylinders.

the smaller the valve the easier it is to package I would like to put the valve and accumulators on the tractor instead of way out on the loader arm like the wr long kit.