Electrolysis Tank For Restoring Some VERY Sentimental Antique Traps

/ Electrolysis Tank For Restoring Some VERY Sentimental Antique Traps
Here is a side-by-side comparison of the results:

Traps - Before and After.jpg

/ Electrolysis Tank For Restoring Some VERY Sentimental Antique Traps #12  
THANKS for the write-up! I'm planning on using this method to clean parts and pieces when I start restoring my Grandpa's old '53 Farmall Cub.

You got some pretty impressive results with that. I love that you were able to get back to the original finish instead of what a sandblasted finish would have looked like.

GREAT story too!! Your dad sounds like quite a guy!!

/ Electrolysis Tank For Restoring Some VERY Sentimental Antique Traps #13  
Something I need to revisit.

/ Electrolysis Tank For Restoring Some VERY Sentimental Antique Traps #14  
Great story and write-up. If you want more info on the old traps, the company in the link below is/was the manufacturer and may be able to help. The Lititz location is about 5 minutes away from where I work. Some of my friends and co-workers were into trapping years ago. A guy in his 50's still traps our creek every year. I don't think they use the old "leg hold" traps any more.

Woodstream Corporate

/ Electrolysis Tank For Restoring Some VERY Sentimental Antique Traps #15  
Thanks for the story and info. I tried to do this to a 4" lathe chuck with less than perfect results. Your info showed me the problem and I will try again. My Grandpa walked on crutches for over 70 years and made a living trapping. Raised 3 kids and had a good life. One year he made over $900. That don't sound like much until you find out that the best paying jobs around was in a sawmill and that paid $1 a day. That year grandpa did just fine.

/ Electrolysis Tank For Restoring Some VERY Sentimental Antique Traps #16  
A buddy of mine has done this using a 30 gallon barrel. His longest story about it was the search for the soda.

/ Electrolysis Tank For Restoring Some VERY Sentimental Antique Traps #17  
   / Electrolysis Tank For Restoring Some VERY Sentimental Antique Traps #18  
A buddy of mine has done this using a 30 gallon barrel. His longest story about it was the search for the soda.

I've done it in a large plastic recycling wheely bin for some longer pieces.

/ Electrolysis Tank For Restoring Some VERY Sentimental Antique Traps #19  
If you cant find the washing soda, you can use the arm&Hammer baking soda. The washing soap contains sodium carbonate and the baking soda is bicarbonate. The difference in one water molecule, baking soda works just fine. If you feel you really need the sodium carbonate instead of bicarbonate, just put the baking soda in a pan in the oven on high for a little while and it will convert to sodium carbonate. I have also read where 20 mule team borax will work. I think basicly you just need some sort of electrolytes to make the electrical exchanges more efficient. I remember in science class we would put pennies in a solution to copper plate stuff. Cant remember much about it, its been a while, but plating those traps once clean would be a good way to preserve them for future generations.

/ Electrolysis Tank For Restoring Some VERY Sentimental Antique Traps #20  
Great story and project!