Electronic logs

/ Electronic logs #1  

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G & Craftsman DGS6500
Came home the other day to find a semi load of ties setting in the highway with the flashers on. Stopped to see ifn he was needing help. All he said was outta hours and pointed to his electronic log. Im not a fan of electronic logs but this guy had just dove past some excellent pull off areas. I just left what can ya do.

/ Electronic logs #2  
The 6 Ps- proper planning prevents piss pour performance.

The DOT rules for driving have been on the books for years. That dude is a little short of a full load.....

/ Electronic logs #3  
So why in the highway?

Does the truck automatically come to a stop? ....so he's sitting in the highway unable to move.....because if he drove a couple hundred feet more that would be dangerous!!

That makes perfect sense!! Safety first!!

They should put this feature on passenger planes too. .

If they can program a shutdown, can't they program a limp mode?

/ Electronic logs #4  
So why in the highway?

Does the truck automatically come to a stop? ....so he's sitting in the highway unable to move.....because if he drove a couple hundred feet more that would be dangerous!!

That makes perfect sense!! Safety first!!

They should put this feature on passenger planes too. .

If they can program a shutdown, can't they program a limp mode?
The drivers I have talked to say that they get an automatic ding if they keep driving after they run out of hours.
If they get pulled over or get an inspection that is listed when the officer looks at their record.

Aaron Z

/ Electronic logs #5  
The drivers I have talked to say that they get an automatic ding if they keep driving after they run out of hours.
If they get pulled over or get an inspection that is listed when the officer looks at their record.

Aaron Z

I guess I don't understand why he would be setting in the highway. Just stop, put the flashers on, crawl in the sleeper and get some shuteye?
How long would he have to sit there?

/ Electronic logs
He was on the phone when I talked to him. I can only assume he was telling dispatch what was going on to get permission to proceed. What a lot of people do not understand is most companies have direct access to the logs and can 😇correct😇 them as they see fit. All electronic logs has changed is who can fudge them.

/ Electronic logs #7  
I guess I don't understand why he would be setting in the highway. Just stop, put the flashers on, crawl in the sleeper and get some shuteye?
How long would he have to sit there?
Drivers get a lot of warning when their time is getting low. If the driver still does not stop when the time expires, the truck engine goes to idle.

After 10 hours of rest, the driver can put in another 11 hrs driving.

However, if said driver has logged 70 hrs in 7 consecutive days then they cannot drive again for 34 hours. AKA the 34 hr reset

/ Electronic logs #8  
Came home the other day to find a semi load of ties setting in the highway with the flashers on. Stopped to see ifn he was needing help. All he said was outta hours and pointed to his electronic log. Im not a fan of electronic logs but this guy had just dove past some excellent pull off areas. I just left what can ya do.

Many use that excuse.

There are accommodations within the regs for situations like that.

He can drive to safe haven even if against his duty clock for the day.

/ Electronic logs #9  
Drivers get a lot of warning when their time is getting low. If the driver still does not stop when the time expires, the truck engine goes to idle.

After 10 hours of rest, the driver can put in another 11 hrs driving.

However, if said driver has logged 70 hrs in 7 consecutive days then they cannot drive again for 34 hours. AKA the 34 hr reset

Or he could run recap hours based on previous 8th day.

/ Electronic logs #10  
He was on the phone when I talked to him. I can only assume he was telling dispatch what was going on to get permission to proceed. What a lot of people do not understand is most companies have direct access to the logs and can ��correct�� them as they see fit. All electronic logs has changed is who can fudge them.

And how easily audited those logs are by DOT.

With hefty penalties.