Emax22 hard starting and white smoke?

/ Emax22 hard starting and white smoke?
Im not alarmed by the clattering noise as it is a mechanical/indirect diesel and not common rail. The noise may be different since it only being picked up by the crappy mic on my phone, and it also gets much quieter after its been running for a moment.

/ Emax22 hard starting and white smoke?
I normally start it at idle, but have tried starting it at different throttle settings. It seems to start easiest at idle or just slightly above idle. Its normal warm idle is approx 1300-1400rpm. And i often will bump the throttle up during use just a bit to quell some of the vibrations common to this engine.

/ Emax22 hard starting and white smoke? #43  
I normally start it at idle, but have tried starting it at different throttle settings. It seems to start easiest at idle or just slightly above idle. Its normal warm idle is approx 1300-1400rpm. And i often will bump the throttle up during use just a bit to quell some of the vibrations common to this engine.
My engine calls for low idle at 1000 +/- 25
and high idle at 2700 +/- 25
I wouldn't think that there would be that much difference between engine types, just seems high to me.

/ Emax22 hard starting and white smoke? #44  
My eMax 25 pretty much behaves like Leadfoots' and Big Chiefs'. I previously used a magnetic oil pan heater and it helped some, but it had a "meltdown". I found out that is common with those!
My Mahindra dealer installed a radiator hose heater and that warms thing up quite well. Actually a little too much if it is on over 45 minutes; it warms to where the glow plugs won't come on. Just have to wait a few to cool off or I found cranking for about 10 seconds must put enough ice cold fuel in and the glow plugs operate. Then it fires as normal e.g smokes like a Daedong does, but very little clatter as the engine is partially warm and will get heat from the heater quicker.

My dealer did bump the idle to 1400-1500 a couple years ago.

Muffler innards are rattling now. Dealer has one on order for me. Overall, happy with my tractor!

Last edited:
   / Emax22 hard starting and white smoke? #45  
Muffler insides rattling.? Never heard of that.....

/ Emax22 hard starting and white smoke? #46  
Yup, baffle broke loose. New one backordered like everything else during Covid. Even if it comes soon, will probably wait until spring. Not as easy to drive up on the trailer with the snowblower attached.

Last edited:
   / Emax22 hard starting and white smoke? #47  
View attachment 685341
its the hot wire that connects to the glow plug rail...

hey i want to thank you on this, i checked mine and the plug is starting to melt, i cleaned it up, and wasn't making a good connection ( wouldn't start 20f), move the plug and 5 seconds later it fired right up, huge difference in start up with them working.

/ Emax22 hard starting and white smoke? #48  
I had an issue recently where I could start my tractor (6500 4WD) but it would not operate at full power. It was blowing some white smoke and sluggish. After changing air filters with no luck I changed fuel filters and it is back to max power no white smoke. Fuel filters are cheap.

/ Emax22 hard starting and white smoke? #49