Oil & Fuel Engine block drain B2601

/ Engine block drain B2601 #1  

woody2022

Tractor
Kubota
Time for a coolant change on my B2601. Does anyone know if there is a plug or something on the engine to drain the block. I would guess that just removing the lower radiator hose, you would still have near 50% of the old coolant remaining in the block.

/ Engine block drain B2601 #2  
I do not think there is any such plug (on any model tractor.) The simplest and I think best is just to pull the thermostat housing , remove the thermostat, and wrap a rag or handy innovation around a garden hose and reverse flush the entire cooling system. You can direct the loose end of the top radiator hose where you need to for disposing of mildly contaminated water. I always use a bottle of Prestone Radiator Flush chemical in the cooling system for an hour or two of operation before doing this. Cannot claim this really does much but it seems the right thing to do. Afterwards you still need to get enough residual water out to make sure you are getting a 50/50 mix overall when you are done adding antifreeze. That's one reason I prefer to refill with full strength antifreeze rather than premix. Check your manual for what the total cooling system capacity is so you know how much antifreeze is enough.

/ Engine block drain B2601 #3  
The workshop manual says to remove the engine side coolant return hose on the left side of the block as shown in the below parts diagram to drain coolant (#70). There appears to be a hex plug immediately above the hose also.
Not on a B2601, but I just remove the lower radiator hose and flush with clean water as JWR does, and use undiluted coolant to get the correct 50/50 final mix.
IMG_4233.jpg

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Engine block drain B2601 #4  
Assuming your engine is the same or similar to the B26, there should be a coolant system drain cock near the front of the block on the lower left. It's mounted in a tee with one hose running to the radiator and the other to the block. Manual says drain, flush with a cooling cleaner, then refill every 2 years.