Engine doesn't turn off with key turn.

/ Engine doesn't turn off with key turn. #1  

Bigos

Tractor
Kubota BX 1500D
Hey guys... I'm new on the forums. I have a Kubota BX 1500D Tractor and for some reason the engine does not seen to turn off with the key turn. I already swapped the Solenoid and replaced the ignition switch but the problem is still there. Wondering if you could give me any pointers on what the issue might be?

Thanks

/ Engine doesn't turn off with key turn. #2  
Has your wire come unaloosened from your shut off?

/ Engine doesn't turn off with key turn. #3  
You have to stop the fuel on a diesel. There is no "ignition" but for the initial warming of the glow plugs.

/ Engine doesn't turn off with key turn. #4  
Well, you've already replaced what one would assume were the culprits. Go back now and ohm out the wiring making sure that all of it is making connections-- from the key/switch to the solenoid especially. Also check the solenoid connection (mechanical) to a shutoff valve which I assume the solenoid accuates. Maybe that valve is stuck? May just a loose wire ...

OK, how DID you shut it off since the key doesn't work ? Did you use the manual shutoff ?

/ Engine doesn't turn off with key turn. #5  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

I'm not familiar with your model of tractor but I would suspect that you have a sticking (always ON) relay. On my 4105, all of the relays (located on the fuse panel) are the same, so I can swap them around to see if the fault 'transfers'.

Enjoy the site... from wherever in the world you are.

/ Engine doesn't turn off with key turn. #6  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

I'm not familiar with your model of tractor but I would suspect that you have a sticking (always ON) relay. On my 4105, all of the relays (located on the fuse panel) are the same, so I can swap them around to see if the fault 'transfers'.

Enjoy the site... from wherever in the world you are.
I understand your logic Wagtail. But to my knowledge there is not much current involved in the fuel shutoff valve of any tractor or this particular BX Kubota. So the only relay involved is the solenoid if it is viewed as a relay. He has already replaced it. I suppose, as you mention on your 4105, that there MIGHT BE a relay (even though none is needed for the solenoid for shutoff) and that such a relay carries the current for other things too as well as that headed for the solenoid. MIGHT BE. If that is the case, HEY ! You may be on to something.

/ Engine doesn't turn off with key turn. #7  
On my BX, the operator presence controller will apply power to the kill solenod if a safety switch is activated or you turn the key off. #1 check your fuses. Test #2 start engine, manually move the kill solenoid to stop engine. Turn key off, did solenoid move? Should hear a click within 10 seconds as the relay opens (maybe I'm hearing the stop solenoid release)

/ Engine doesn't turn off with key turn. #8  
There are two possible engine stop systems and it is important you determine which you have on the BX1500.
forum BX1500 spec.jpg

One system needs power to the solenoid in order to stop the engine. Power is applied for about 10 seconds through a controller as to continually apply power would kill the battery.

The other system needs power to pull and hold solenoid open which allows fuel to flow into engine. Often these solenoids have two internal coils. A strong pull in coil and a weaker hold coil.

How many wires are present in the connector to the engine stop solenoid?

forum BX1500 stop solenoid.jpg

Get a 12 volt test light for around $20 at any auto parts place or on line.
Test light.jpg

Attach the test light alligator clip to the battery negative terminal and then use the test light's sharp end to back probe probe the stop solenoid connector.

What you are trying to determine is when power is supplied to the terminals in the stop solenoid connector. Any time key is in ON or START position or briefly when key is turned to STOP or OFF position.

i7win7's advice about checking for a blown fuse is important.

If your system is one which powers the solenoid to stop the engine, you will have a timer relay or an OPC controller.

I cannot find a manual for the BX1500

Dave M7040

/ Engine doesn't turn off with key turn. #9  
A friend provide me access to the BX1500 documents.

There is a TIMER relay controlling the stop solenoid.

Your engine is stopped by the timer relay being triggered and it then applying power to the stop solenoid.

forum BX1500 timer relay.jpg

Make certain the 15 amp fuse is OK. If there is power to the relay and the engine is not stopping, check the momentary power out of the relay to the stop solenoid.

Dave M7040

/ Engine doesn't turn off with key turn. #10  
Leave it to Dave ! Great info clarifying the entire issue.