Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help!

/ Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help! #21  
It looks like parts are still available for most models. Thay have a pdf parts list and manuals. The original part was a double center U-joint. Give this place a call and see if they can help you out.

/ Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help!
It looks like parts are still available for most models. Thay have a pdf parts list and manuals. The original part was a double center U-joint. Give this place a call and see if they can help you out.
I do have the manuals and parts list, the shaft on this engine is 1/8” smaller than the kohler that was originally on it

Neat looking machine.
Thanks, I like how the backhoe is tucked up tight. The seat is level with the fender height and not sunken down between the fenders and wheels like on a modern tractor. Makes it nice because I installed a swivel seat and can just rotate the seat a bit with my feet up on the fenders to use the backhoe. No getting off the machine or any setup besides dropping the stabilizers. Very simple machine for the most part and all metal construction.

/ Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help! #24  
Tinhack mentioned the original coupler being a U joint. I think thats the problem here. You have a solid coupler and it looks like a homemade structure between the engine and pump. The coupler will need some flex to account for the slight mismatch in alignment.

If it were me, I would go with the appropriate Lovejoy coupler and keep a few of the rubber spacers on hand.

I do have the manuals and parts list, the shaft on this engine is 1/8” smaller than the kohler that was originally on it
My model is the tlb25k, no u joints although the manual doesn’t really show the original connection too clearly

Tinhack mentioned the original coupler being a U joint. I think thats the problem here. You have a solid coupler and it looks like a homemade structure between the engine and pump. The coupler will need some flex to account for the slight mismatch in alignment.

If it were me, I would go with the appropriate Lovejoy coupler and keep a few of the rubber spacers on hand.
I am most likely going to try and find a love joy setup that will fit. The first love joy couplers that were linked in a previous post are only rated for 15 hp. I’ll have to size up a bit and make sure there is enough room for the outside diameter. I like the thought of the love joy halfs in case this becomes an ongoing thing as well. I believe the previous owner had the home made part (the four leg extensions between pump and engine) in there so he didn’t have to modify the shaft voiding warrenty. Also keeps the pump and hoses the same lengths. I really don’t understand the reason for the old kohler mount being between the homemade part and the pump though.

/ Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help! #27  
If you do use the lovejoy setup get Xtra spiders. They tend to fall apart at the worst times.

/ Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help! #28  
The coupler in the picture is one piece and has two female ends. One side accepts the splined pump and the other accepts the drive shaft from the motor. I have got the pump out of the way but having a hard time getting the coupler off the engine shaft because the key is not exposed at all. I put a 3 jaw gear puller on the shaft and couldn’t get it to slide off. That’s currently where I’m at. Tomorow I will try a little heat or end up cutting it off if it comes to it. Really just wanted to see if anyone had any tips/tricks dealing with this sort of thing.
An el cheapo grinder with a cut off wheel, big cold chisel, off.

/ Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help! #29  
Not sure what you are asking. 7/8"-13 Spl coupler on a 1"-1/4 keyway shaft? This doesn't make sense. The coupler diameter is smaller than the shaft???
Maybe it's a little longer than you are thinking.

/ Engine drive shaft coupler to hydraulic pump failure. Need help! #30  
The first love joy couplers that were linked in a previous post are only rated for 15 hp.
That would depend on which spider is used. A Hytrel spider will double the torque, but the shaft alignment can't very by more than 1/2 degree. I can tell you the Hytrel spiders are not cheap though. You will spend around $300 for a complete Lovejoy coupling that's about 4.5 inches long. You can also get shorter couplings, but it sounds like you need the long style. Visit McMaster-Carr for an extensive selection.