Engine oil and filter once a year?

/ Engine oil and filter once a year? #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Well ,my New Holland TN70A wants the oil and filter changed every 300 hrs. I run about 150 hrs a year, so I change my Rotella-T synthetic 5-40W and filter once a year in the late fall or early winter. What do you think?
Bob

/ Engine oil and filter once a year? #2  
Sounds right to me. My JD5105 wants oil and filter every 250 hours, or 1 year, whichever comes first. The manual clearly says change oil and filter at least annually. I am running 111 hours since 3/1/07 (delivery) and just changed the oil for the first time last week.

/ Engine oil and filter once a year? #3  
Be careful on time and hours and miles thing, lots of oil Mfg suggest a day/month thing not just hours on engine.
Jim
:)

/ Engine oil and filter once a year? #4  
Doc_Bob said:
Well ,my New Holland TN70A wants the oil and filter changed every 300 hrs. I run about 150 hrs a year, so I change my Rotella-T synthetic 5-40W and filter once a year in the late fall or early winter. What do you think?
Bob

I change engine oils..etc..according to USAGE and not a calender. If I do an oil change on ( name a vehicle?) on say Jan2...and do not operate that "equipment" AT ALL for ..again..lets say 11 months...Im "suppose to" do an oil and filter change on it in less than another 30 days? ???? That of course doesnt men I can do a oil change and let it sit ...without usage...for say 20 years.

Ive owned my Kubota for 2 years now...and dont use it anymore than 25-30 hrs A YEAR...and I just did my 50 hr service last week. ( BTW I installed Rot 5W-30 in it instead of 10W-30 Dino oil)

/ Engine oil and filter once a year? #5  
MrJimi said:
Be careful on time and hours and miles thing, lots of oil Mfg suggest a day/month thing not just hours on engine.
Jim

Yep, that's one way to sell more oil.

I would trust the vehicle/engine/equipment manufacturer first. He has his reputation riding on his product, not to mention potential warranty costs, so he is unlikely to make unrealistically long recommendations, while still having an interest in economical service intervals, lest his customers go elsewhere.

/ Engine oil and filter once a year? #6  
Depending on location I definitely recommend an oil change yearly! Here in the north east with the hot and the freezing cold the amount of moisture that can build up in the oil can kill it long before it's time. The water being heavier then oil will settle to the bottom and freezing will hinder any movement of the frozen water so the lack of lubrication will kill the machine!

/ Engine oil and filter once a year?
MrJimi said:
Jim

I am not sure what this means, can you give me an example?
Bob

/ Engine oil and filter once a year? #8  
art said:
Depending on location I definitely recommend an oil change yearly! Here in the north east with the hot and the freezing cold the amount of moisture that can build up in the oil can kill it long before it's time. The water being heavier then oil will settle to the bottom and freezing will hinder any movement of the frozen water so the lack of lubrication will kill the machine!
Ive heard that theory before...but never an ACTUAL occurance in almost 60 years! If one had THAT MUCH water in his oil pan...he's got a lot bigger problems that "poor oil change schedules"..:eek:

/ Engine oil and filter once a year? #9  
Doc_Bob said:
I am not sure what this means, can you give me an example?
Bob

Sure, no problem, here is what Mobil says and Amsoil say and I'm guilty of leaving it in longer Shh
Jim

/ Engine oil and filter once a year? #10  
Doc_Bob said:
Bob

I bought a new Ford 1910 in the early 80's. I have about 1300 hours on it now and it still runs like new and uses no oil. I change one a year in the spring. I use Delvac one.