Engine Oil change away from KUbota brand?

/ Engine Oil change away from KUbota brand? #31  
Make sure that T6 spec's to VW's oils spec for that engine (BEW?). VW's pump duse engines are really particular/sensitive about oil.

I run Motorcraft HD diesel oil in all my diesels: 1990's vintage through my 2016 Kioti. It's CJ-4 oil, which my newest diesel -Kioti- is OK with. I used to run nothing but T6 Rotella but when they went CK-4 and drastically reduced phosphorous* I decided to find something else, and the Motorcraft oil spec'd identical to the old T6 Rotella. It's on the more expensive side, but being able to [confidently] run it in everything, not have to stock different oils, helps offset that cost.

NOTE: here's a great site for evaluating oils/fluids (it's how I was able to pick out my replacement oil):
http://www.pqiamerica.org/

* What difference this makes I don't know, but since the reputation of the CJ-4 T6 was so great I didn't want to chance it. The CK-4 oils are for emissions (and, I would expect, less environmentally nasty).
Both my ALH's and the BEW have been using T-6 for their lives under my ownership, BEW currently at 302+k miles and counting so I don't have any concerns.

/ Engine Oil change away from KUbota brand? #32  
FWIW, I've used the Rotella T-6 5w-40 in my Kubotas. Mostly because they only get random use in the winter, and I don't want starting problems. I use synthetic oil in all my vehicles, and in the generator as well. Just makes sense.

/ Engine Oil change away from KUbota brand? #33  
I don't run Kubota branded anything (oil / filters) in my kubotas

I would read whatever you cared to add to this.

/ Engine Oil change away from KUbota brand? #34  
I would read whatever you cared to add to this.
What to add ? I don't use kubota branded filters, or their branded fluids

/ Engine Oil change away from KUbota brand? #35  
What to add ? I don't use kubota branded filters, or their branded fluids

I understand you don’t buy them….Any reason?

/ Engine Oil change away from KUbota brand? #36  
I understand you don’t buy them….Any reason?
I use Baldwin filters . Have oil analysis performed and they work !
Why change from something that works well ?

/ Engine Oil change away from KUbota brand? #37  
API CK-4 oils will replace current API CJ-4 engine oils and will be backward compatible with most applications where engine manufacturers currently recommend CJ-4. The new CK-4 oils will provide a number of improvements over CJ-4, including improved shear stability, oxidation resistance, and aeration control. API FA-4 oils will provide similar improvements over CJ-4 oils, but it is important to note that FA-4 oils are only intended for use in newer on-highway diesel engines. FA-4 oils will have limited or no backward compatibility with on- and off-highway diesel engines where engine manufacturers recommended CJ-4. While not specifically backward compatible, FA-4 oils are expected to play an important role in some current and new diesel engines by protecting those engines and at the same time helping them meet more stringent emissions requirements.

One neighbor blew the crankshaft seal on his New Holland tractor it’s first winter. NH said it would replace once, but must use 5W-40 or 0W-40 oil in the future or no similar warranty coverage. Viscosities we’re not in the book. We see temperatures to -40 and it was during a harsh winter period. NH said what everyone in this thread is saying - the only thing different using 0W-40 instead of 15W-40 year around is oil cost. I use Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic in all of mine except the Cummins. It’s only used between 40 and 100 degrees and has 150 hour intervals so it gets Shell 15W-40. For cost reasons. Transmissions/hydraulics Kubota is very specific for my hydros and my KVT transmission. Ironically my hydrostatic SVL75-2 specifies standard industrial AW46 hydraulic oil. Why not SUDT2 I don’t know - maybe because SUDT2 is not something commonly found on a construction equipment site.

/ Engine Oil change away from KUbota brand? #38  
FWIW, I've used the Rotella T-6 5w-40 in my Kubotas. Mostly because they only get random use in the winter, and I don't want starting problems. I use synthetic oil in all my vehicles, and in the generator as well. Just makes sense.
Mine don't as that is all I use anyway. I use only Kubota OEM filters as well. Kubota filters aren't much more that generic ones, couple bucks is all

/ Engine Oil change away from KUbota brand?
API CK-4 oils will replace current API CJ-4 engine oils and will be backward compatible with most applications where engine manufacturers currently recommend CJ-4. The new CK-4 oils will provide a number of improvements over CJ-4, including improved shear stability, oxidation resistance, and aeration control. API FA-4 oils will provide similar improvements over CJ-4 oils, but it is important to note that FA-4 oils are only intended for use in newer on-highway diesel engines. FA-4 oils will have limited or no backward compatibility with on- and off-highway diesel engines where engine manufacturers recommended CJ-4. While not specifically backward compatible, FA-4 oils are expected to play an important role in some current and new diesel engines by protecting those engines and at the same time helping them meet more stringent emissions requirements.

One neighbor blew the crankshaft seal on his New Holland tractor it’s first winter. NH said it would replace once, but must use 5W-40 or 0W-40 oil in the future or no similar warranty coverage. Viscosities we’re not in the book. We see temperatures to -40 and it was during a harsh winter period. NH said what everyone in this thread is saying - the only thing different using 0W-40 instead of 15W-40 year around is oil cost. I use Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic in all of mine except the Cummins. It’s only used between 40 and 100 degrees and has 150 hour intervals so it gets Shell 15W-40. For cost reasons. Transmissions/hydraulics Kubota is very specific for my hydros and my KVT transmission. Ironically my hydrostatic SVL75-2 specifies standard industrial AW46 hydraulic oil. Why not SUDT2 I don’t know - maybe because SUDT2 is not something commonly found on a construction equipment site.

Great info.

Luckily cold here would be the teens... so not that cold. I am usually only operating when it's in the 20s-30s for snow clearing anyway, I think the 5w-40 will be great for winter\summer usage for me.

/ Engine Oil change away from KUbota brand? #40  
Anyone switched from the Kubota Brand oil 15w40 to T6 5w40?

I noticed my jugs of kubota 15w40 over the last few years are not identical oil types anymore so I'm not sure what may have changed... but I did notice when it's < 45*F it's noticeably rougher starting.

I have T6 5w40 on hand already as I use it in various other engines... thoughts? experiences ?
Everyone MUST know, Kubota does NOT MAKE OIL. They only slap a label on something they buy and sell. Hell, Kubota likely doesn't even have an proper oild testing lab.

;-)