Engine oil choice?

/ Engine oil choice? #1  

jakell2010

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 Cub Cadet 5364D
I have a 2920,,, it's 3 weeks old, and am approaching the 50 hr point,,,,,,what oil are most people using?,,,is synthetic an option?, would there be any benefits,,,,,according to the manual the next interval is 200hrs. Man that's a long time for engine oil?

Thanks in advance for your help

This is not my first tractor, but it is my first NEW tractor, so I want to make sure it's right. Also is anyone doing their engine oil at different intervals ( earlier)

Attachments

• image-4182659787.png
    image-4182659787.png
    687.5 KB · Views: 261
   / Engine oil choice? #2  
I'd change it at 50 hrs...Old school I guess. There are left over millings in there, not excessive, but they need to go. Personally, I've used dealer Kubota oil and filters for 7 years and never had an issue. Just my opinion.

/ Engine oil choice? #3  
I know that on gas engines they say to change over after the motor is broken in. I don't know how many hours that is on a diesel but I think that I would not change over to syn oil until the change at a min of 200 hrs. Get it broken in and the rings seated and all the bearings seated and smoother then change to syn oil. I might be all wet on this but it is what is advised to do on gas engine so it sounds right to me.

/ Engine oil choice? #4  
I don't use synthetic engine oil in anything. My brother is a mechanic and we have run it in our cars and trucks, but found no real advantage, others will have different opinions and experience.

I go by my manuals on frequency of oil changes.

/ Engine oil choice? #5  
You want to change it at 50 hrs the first time, then 200 hrs each next time. 15W40. If you go synthetic, be sure to wait to 400 hrs. Napa has always been my favorite parts supplier.

/ Engine oil choice?
Thanks for the info',,,,,,,,,,,,,,200 hrs. Seems like A REALLY LONG TIME, I've seen 10 year old used machines with 300 hrs on them,,,,that would mean the oil had been changed twice. I was surprised Kubota didn't put in a time clause, like " or once every 12 months or 200 hrs",,,,, I know with boats they recommend every season, because of acids that supposedly build up.

/ Engine oil choice? #7  
Most guys in the mid-south, deep south and southwest US use 15w-40, but those of us further north have to turn over that engine in subzero weather to clean up winter storms.

For that, we prefer 10w-30 or even 5w-40 synthetic for slightly better cold engine oil flow. It is entirely your choice.

/ Engine oil choice? #8  
What is your climate? Ever get into freezing temps? If I lived in Texas, I would run 15w-40 year round. In Indiana we see swings from 0F to 95F, so I run a 5w-40 synthetic. Tractor came filled with 10w-30. Around 18 hour mark I changed out to to 5w-40 synthetic. Kubota recommends changing oil at 50 hours, so do it then or before. 200 hours is standard interval for a diesel oil change. Here are some UOA's from my L3940 if you are interested. Philip.

Attachments

• UOA18.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 162
  • UOA50.pdf
    484 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
   / Engine oil choice? #9  
Not sure why you would change oil after a certain amount of time (say 12 months) versus the time you put on the machine. If you only use it a few times a month, changing oil every 12 months is expensive.
Haha! Only use it a few times per month...good one!

/ Engine oil choice? #10  
Oil will age, even if the machine isn't used. I wouldn't want to go much over a year without changing the oil.