Engine oil for hot temps

/ Engine oil for hot temps #11  
Here’s a link to the manual:

Relevant pages:

01B59D60-37DF-4CC3-AFA0-26C64C89A5EA.png

601A35E0-FDE7-4200-881E-BA1765CA0C51.png

The engine for the HST is the same as the manual, so 6.0L of whichever weight you think is best.

In Kansas, I use 10W-30 synthetic blend, in my Kubota. We get the full extremes of temperature, from -15* to over 110*.

In Arizona, I would think the 15w-40 is how I would go. Longer duration of higher highs with no low temperatures. After the engine is broken in, I move to synthetic or synthetic blend. I went with the Delo because it was a stupid low price, on clearance, when they changed the bottle design.

Last edited:
   / Engine oil for hot temps #12  
Here's from the Kubota B2301/2601 Owners Manual.

10w30 (or 0w30 or 5w30) covers all ranges. SAE 20 is even allowed in the medium range.

Attachments

• Kubota B2301 engine oil.JPG
    Kubota B2301 engine oil.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 61
   / Engine oil for hot temps #13  
I have the Kioti CK2610 and wondering which weight of oil is best in the Arizona heat. Also, how many quarts does it take. I don't have my owner's manual handy.
Well get your owners manual out and see what the OEM recommends! Brand doesn't make a difference. SAE grade, API classification are all that counts. The rest is marketing.

/ Engine oil for hot temps #14  
I'm a retired tractor engineer. Your statement not only does not address the OP's "oil in hot weather" question but doesn't even pass the 'smell test'.

Tractors live in an environment where they will often get fouled during a session. It's not if they'll get hot it's when they'll get hot. NOBODY will stop to 'clean the unit' unless warned (gage or dash light).... and that's when temperatures rise (way above thermostat setting). "Add additional capacity... "??? LOL! How? A tractor's air management is central to it's design and locked in on day 1: push/pull? Draw in at the front/operator side? The tractor's size limits intake/screen area so cooling air often creates a 'Hoover' effect and vacuums debris to the machine... temps go up. 99.9% of owners wouldn't have a clue how to 'add additional capacity'.

I don't understand these comments on diesel engine oil at all: 0w, 5w, 10w30... in Arizona??? OEM's typically spec 15w40 or 20w50 in high ambients as a safety factor against the environment the machine will live in.

Hockey: find your manual, use a DIESEL rated oil of whatever weight your manual says 'for hot environments'. Know the weakest link in your tractor is typically the transaxle so fuss over those services too. You'll get lots of advice here so you'll have to follow your own judgement.

Hmm A tractor engineer. Which part of the "tractor" did you concentrate on? There are many parts. One of my tractors was offered with a choice of engines. One, air cooled, One liquid. Who did the the "tractor engineering". One tractor in my stable recommends only 30 wt oil. saying other grades leads to smoking and excessive consumption.
Another suggests 30wt ND . That is getting hard to find .. I use the detergent oil and "suffer" the reduced life of the engine. It is only 70 years old at present. I'm sure the lack of correct grade oil will be it's demise!

As I stated earlier. When it comes to engine oil, Just make sure there is enough!

/ Engine oil for hot temps #15  
Agree with dadohead, in that environment keep and eye on the temp gauge, and clean screens. I do this several time each mowing with the JD X750. I would use the higher quality and fully synthetic 15w-40 Rotella. Yes it is pricy, but for the added insurance against heat, or forgetfulness to clean screens. Full synthetic quality oils flow easier at start up, and hold oil pressure better once hot. https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/143590

My X750 temp gauges usually run at 1/4 from bottom, when it gets to 1/2 gauge, even still in the green, I clean and blow out intake screen, engine screen, engine and under hood. The NH TC48 never gets hot. I don't know why, but it gets it's old school full metal industrial radiator cleaned once a year.

/ Engine oil for hot temps #16  
Studies show high weight oils offer better protection at critically high temps. This is the best test data I have ever found on oil. Oil rankings start about 1/8 the way down. Make a link to it because it gets updated as new oils come out.

I keep waiting for a diesel oil ranking to appear... someday! In Arizona I'd go no lighter than 15w40.

Last edited:
   / Engine oil for hot temps #17  
Some people run oil coolers, both air and water exchange. Such capacity is an easy add on.

Careful though! Don't over cool the oil, it will thicken and you might spin a bearing. .
Well if one is using Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 full synthetic, I really believe the compound will take care of most any temp that the operator can tolerate!