Enjoying my David Brown 780 Selectomatic

/ Enjoying my David Brown 780 Selectomatic
P2250431.JPGP2250432.JPGP2250433.JPGP2250434.JPG

Few more pictures today. Front tires back on and Battery hold down rebuilt. Seat bracket in place. :wave:

P2250422.JPGP2250423.JPGP2250424.JPGP2250425.JPG
Well here is the hood with the grill painted Case Power Red. It is the correct color for the British Poppy Red.

/ Enjoying my David Brown 780 Selectomatic #33  
Thanks to both MasseyWV and the Kid, I have done more with this project than I had planned. Seems that if you fix one thing there is something right next to it that will look worse unless you clean that up too. Everything here is frozen and tomorrow with 40 F there will be too much slush and mud to take it out of the barn for outside pictures. Spring is on its way though.
The cannon is at Gettysburg. It was the first cannon we saw after parking the truck. I wanted to load it but I found out that they plugged the barrel to within ten inches from the muzzle. My wife had to explain to me the reason for that, "because of people like you". :cool:

/ Enjoying my David Brown 780 Selectomatic #36  
Thanks to both MasseyWV and the Kid, I have done more with this project than I had planned. Seems that if you fix one thing there is something right next to it that will look worse unless you clean that up too. Everything here is frozen and tomorrow with 40 F there will be too much slush and mud to take it out of the barn for outside pictures. Spring is on its way though.
The cannon is at Gettysburg. It was the first cannon we saw after parking the truck. I wanted to load it but I found out that they plugged the barrel to within ten inches from the muzzle. My wife had to explain to me the reason for that, "because of people like you". :cool:

Shiloh National park and Cemetery came to mind when I saw that picture. BTW. Spring for the new decals. It will be icing on the cake. It's looking really nice. -robert

Message posted with TractorByNet v1.6.2 for iPad

shift pattern plate1.JPG shift pattern plate2.JPG
Hope the details are clear enough with these two pictures. If I can get these done with clean lines it will look very cool on the tractor. It goes just forward of the shifters. The left most lever is Normal up and Slow down. Then Low and High lever and right most is the three speed and reverse lever. You can see them on another picture on this thread. I hope I don't need to find a graphic artist to repaint this. there must be away to make nice clean lines and dots. I just don't know how. Have also tried to mask off the black area and spray the raised areas but much to detailed and then I would have to mask off the raised area and paint the black.

I've never considered being around a David Brown tractor, but since I"m trying to economize and still get a functional tractor, I'm thinking of inspecting a 770 in my area. Are these pretty crude tractors? Power steering? Any strikingly bad characteristics?
The price is right on the tractor, too. Just wonder what your overall opinion might be.

thank you

Mike

Got this email through TBN, The 770 is the precursor of the 780 mine was purchased 6/30/1970. One thing I know for sure is that Vintage tractor and economy are not usually used in the same sentence. :cool: There are parts to be found for these tractors and then there are parts that are very scarce and expensive. After all it was built in Meltham, England and imported by Case. Check ebay for a radiator, seat, starter motor, lights, etc... Every time I work this tough and reliable tractor I expect that age will catch up to it and I might have a parts tractor or lawn ornament. I would not be without a backup tractor and I have a very nice David Brown. So bottom line. A few extra $$$ for a newer model might save you in the long run. Caveat Emptor . Hope this helps. :2cents:

kubota bx22002.JPG kubota bx22003.JPG kubota bx22004.JPG kubota bx22005.JPG kubota bx22006.JPG
Wanted to put these on my thread. this was my first tractor. The 2001 BX2200. Shown are some of the repairs that were needed over the years. Grill needed on wide open brush bar, tool box on roll bar, bands on air cleaner that kept braking on original, Taped seat, secure gasket on hydraulic lines and lastly the BX2200 set up for snow removal.

Attachments

• kubota bx22001.JPG
    kubota bx22001.JPG
    527.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
P5200481.JPGP5200482.JPG Just updating my thread. Got worried someone might think I gave up on the restoration of the David Brown 780. Had to put all back together as the tractor was needed for field clearing (brush Hog). The birds in the barn already christened the new paint on the hood. :muttering: Have put 19 hours + on the new Tachometer so that is working well. Will get to the rear rims, tires, brakes and brown chassis paint later this summer hopefully.