EPA regs

/ EPA regs #1  

mbohuntr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533
Anyone know when the new regs come out? we are looking to build next year and will be buying a new wood fireplace before they are banned.....

/ EPA regs #2  
If you're asking about EPA regs on wood stoves and such, they're already in the proposal stages.
I suggest your bigger concern might me state and local regulations (at this point in time).

/ EPA regs
If you're asking about EPA regs on wood stoves and such, they're already in the proposal stages.
I suggest your bigger concern might me state and local regulations (at this point in time).

You know something I don't? I haven't heard about anything local yet, and many people here burn wood in some fashion...

/ EPA regs #4  
You know something I don't? I haven't heard about anything local yet, and many people here burn wood in some fashion...

Environmental programs, as a rule, originate at the federal level. EPA does the research, both legal and technical, and drafts regulations designed to reduce emissions; in this case from wood burning equipment. Depending on the standards, here I think we're talking about NSPS (New Source Performance Standards) which apply only to new or modified equipment. These standards, after notice and opportunity to comment (this procedure generally gets participation from the states, manufacturers, environmental groups and EPA) become law when published in final form, or later, if a later date is specified. NSPS standards will apply to all new equipment, wherever located.

Most, if not all states have state programs. These programs, upon approval by EPA, allow the state to implement and enforce the federal programs at the state level. States take on the responsibility for adopting the new regulations, applying them to permits and to enforce compliance. So as a practical matter, these new regulations, upon adoption by the state, become state programs from the beginning. This way EPA saves its resources for other matters and the state enforces the program. Upon occasion, EPA will step in when the state falters, or if they have a specific enforcement program going, say for instance against certain refinery emissions violations or power plant violations.

Some standards/programs will only apply to areas where air quality is in violation of national standards, or sources located in delicate areas, such as national parks, etc.

In some instances, the state may have promulgated more stringent regulations than the EPA standards if they have a particularly bad pollution problem.

You might find this helpful:

Ordinances and Regulations | Burn Wise | US EPA

/ EPA regs #5  
In my State of California... many programs originate here and become Grandfathered once there is similar Federal requirements.

Wood burning of all types is discouraged at all times and forbidden sometimes.

Can't get a permit of any typed of wood-burner here in new construction... gas is as close as you can get.

/ EPA regs
Thanks for the replies, I am fairly sure there are no restrictions on burning around here, but NY is getting worse and I wanted to get my appliances purchased and installed before someone in NYC (800 miles away) decides I don't need to have one anymore. :mad:

The new EPA regs will effectively (if implemented as written) halt production of most makes and models now being sold.

/ EPA regs #7  
Thought this might get some people thinking. Now the EPA can file charges against anyone for Rain Water mitigation, or Pollution etc and then Fine you and garnish your wages WITHOUT GOING TO COURT! The EPA claims they can appoint their won judges magistrates or "executioners" and TAKE your money or without using local/state or Federal Court system...

Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters - Washington Times

EPA claims it has the power to garnish wages without court approval | Fox News

Good Grief! When Is a Bridge Too Far? EPA Garnishing Wages

Garnishment without court order? | JunkScience.com

Now if you try to build a Pond without their approval they can come in fine you & take $ right out of your checking without you even knowing it was going to happen...

Many of you MAY not have seen my last couple threads on the EPA going after Wood Burners in January or the EPA going after ANY RAIN WATER that falls on YOUR PROPERTY better wright your state Representative SOON on this...

Mark

/ EPA regs #8  
Sounds like someone needs to switch to decaf.....

Rather than the bogus and biased links you posted, Spiker, do you have any reputable news sources (Faux News doesn't count) where anything adverse has happened to an innocent land owner? And by innocent, I mean someone who did absolutely nothing wrong, and yet jackbooted thugs from the EPA showed up to take his money and rape his dog?

In Washington State, we often have burn bans implemented because of thermal inversion conditions during the winter which traps pollutants in the Puget Sound lowlands. Folks are asked not to burn in fireplaces or woodstoves unless it's their only source of heat. As far as I know, and I"m on the local fire department which responds to burn complaints, I've never heard of anyone getting fined, let alone having their wages garnished, for violating the ban.

We are about to implement our summer burn ban on the 15th where outdoor burning is not allowed. Again, if a complaint is called in, the FD responds and informs the landowner of the ban. We'll ask them to put the fire out, or put it out for them with the deck gun if they're going to be a dick about things. But in my 20 years on the department, there's never been a fine levied.

Anyone else on the board have any instances where a totally innocent landowner was harassed by the EPA?

/ EPA regs #9  
Sounds like someone needs to switch to decaf.....

Rather than the bogus and biased links you posted, Spiker, do you have any reputable news sources (Faux News doesn't count) where anything adverse has happened to an innocent land owner? And by innocent, I mean someone who did absolutely nothing wrong, and yet jackbooted thugs from the EPA showed up to take his money and rape his dog?

In Washington State, we often have burn bans implemented because of thermal inversion conditions during the winter which traps pollutants in the Puget Sound lowlands. Folks are asked not to burn in fireplaces or woodstoves unless it's their only source of heat. As far as I know, and I"m on the local fire department which responds to burn complaints, I've never heard of anyone getting fined, let alone having their wages garnished, for violating the ban.

We are about to implement our summer burn ban on the 15th where outdoor burning is not allowed. Again, if a complaint is called in, the FD responds and informs the landowner of the ban. We'll ask them to put the fire out, or put it out for them with the deck gun if they're going to be a dick about things. But in my 20 years on the department, there's never been a fine levied.

Anyone else on the board have any instances where a totally innocent landowner was harassed by the EPA?

Well, if it doesn't happen in Wa, then I guess we stand corrected.

/ EPA regs #10  
Well, if it doesn't happen in Wa, then I guess we stand corrected.

I do believe that we in WA still fall under federal regulations, so.....