Equipment that's left out in the rain

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #11  
I tried covering an older log splitter a long time ago with a tarp to keep it dry. If I remember correctly, it had the tarp on it for about a year. When I took off the tarp, it was ruined from rust. It was so bad that I gave it away.

If you cover something, make sure there is air flow around it!!!

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #12  
I cover my brush-hog and finish mower with a tarp for the winter to keep some of the finish intact. I put them on a pallet, cover with tarp and bungee cord the tarp to the pallet. It allows airflow but covers from rain/ sun / snow. It also it the local critter hotel.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #13  
I have some IBC totes that I cut the bottoms of the plastic liners as rain shields for the firewood. The leftover "tops" of the plastic liners I use as random covers for equipment. I have one over the log splitter engine only, since its just sort of draped over it, its not really ideal for critters, plus the cat can get in there easily if need be. Just enough cover to keep out the rain/snow, but not enough to create comfort.

Last edited:
   / Equipment that's left out in the rain #14  
Honestly - I don't think there is such a thing as a rodent proof out building. There always seems to be a point of entry. Particularly - the big machine entry door. I've tried most everything to keep mice/chipmunks out of the engine compartment and passenger compartment on my vehicles. Everything works - for a while.

What has continuously worked for me now - keep the hood of the vehicle open. My examples - my tractor and my Ram Power Wagon. Been over two years now since I've seen any "evidence" in either vehicle. The tractor is stored in a very large carport. So no snow on it - ever. The Power Wagon is stored out in the yard. So ...... I scrape/brush snow almost every time I use it. Small price to pay for no rodents.

It's fairly obvious - rodents do not like open areas.
View attachment 732564View attachment 732565
The Extension Agents say a 6-ft band of pea gravel deters mice, the like to have escape tunnels. they cant dig them through th pea gravel

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #15  
I keep EVERYTHING inside, tractors, implements, vehicles and even the RV is inside. Stuff lasts so much longer that way. I cringe when I drive down a road and see a nice RV sitting out in the weather, especially in the snow. RV's especially suffer from continuous weather exposure and then they start to leak and that is bad too. Nothing depreciates an RV like water leaks.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #16  
This is true. Even homes aren't rodent proof either.

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread here since there are others specific to the subject. I just want to add that I manage to control rodents in my out buildings using a combination of TomCat traps and Decon baits. There are no pets or children around and the new poison formula isn't transferrable to other animals. Admittedly, the new stuff isn't as effective as the old formula but it gives the little rats something to chew on. The traps work much better.

For the first two years, I was using 6 traps and catching about 20 mice per week. This slowly dwindled down until now when I get one or two per month. It took a bit of work but I've managed to reduce the resident rodent population to the point where it's easily manageable.
I do the same thing with similar results.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #17  
I keep EVERYTHING inside, tractors, implements, vehicles and even the RV is inside. Stuff lasts so much longer that way. I cringe when I drive down a road and see a nice RV sitting out in the weather, especially in the snow. RV's especially suffer from continuous weather exposure and then they start to leak and that is bad too. Nothing depreciates an RV like water leaks.
I store everything indoors except implements such as plow, grader blade, pallet forks.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #18  
I store everything indoors except implements such as plow, grader blade, pallet forks.

I do as well but prefer to have it all under roof, gotta add more roof if the price of things ever gets back closer to normal.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #19  
All my hay tools with the exception of the shredders stay inside when not in use. I never wash my round bailer, just blow it off with compressed air and service it after bailing. Had it (my traded in NH) get caught out one time in the rain (at the remote fields I run), should have tarped it but didn't. Unexpected rain event and what a PITA to clean. Nothing better to clean than coagulated hay chaff that turns to a rock when it dries out. Took me a couple hours of concerted blowing and cussing to get it cleaned out. Same applied to the disc machine except in the fall, I'll pressure wash the cutterbar and the underside of the housings and coat the cutterbar, turtles and knives with a spray of diesel fuel and motor oil before I put it away for the winter (after servicing it, checking the oil in the bar, and changing out the knives, which I do every fall). The knives are 2 sided so one year they get flipped, the next year replaced along with the pivot bolts and insert nuts

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #20  
I do as well but prefer to have it all under roof, gotta add more roof if the price of things ever gets back closer to normal.
A steel carport could be a quick option.