Equipment Trailer Question

/ Equipment Trailer Question #21  
I would need a different drivers license for my truck/trailer:

What would that be?

You may fall into the med card/log book requirements when traveling between states.

/ Equipment Trailer Question #22  
I have been watching and looking for a deal on a used trailer. Minimum length is 20' and a minimum of 12K rating. I am not looking for stand up ramps as I am concerned they will get in the way of longer loads hanging over the end. My MX6 cutter with FEL installed is about 24' in length. This would be the longest anticipated load. I found this 22' trailer rated for 14K on craigslist. I like the over the fender style. Can pull 8' disk on this trailer without having to let it hang off the back. Asking price on this unit is $2450. I am a little concerned about the pintle hitch. Will be towing JD 5303 MFWD with Ford F150. 5303 is a recent purchase and towed it approximately 400 miles with this truck and borrowed car hauler style trailer. Had no problems pulling it. Looking for some feed back on this style trailer. Will try to post side pictures. File currently too large. Thanks.

I would not want a deckover towing that kind of weight from the bumper. It has a tendency to rock forward and back being that high up in the air. If you like this type of trailer go with a gooseneck.

/ Equipment Trailer Question
I did not anticipate the DOT regulation issue resurfacing, but have seen it discussed quite a bit in the past. Seems to be a lot of different rules for different states. I am trying to stay away from those issues and focus just on the truck/trailer combination.

Seems like it is best to let this one pass. I agree the deckover is nice, but seems to have it's issues too. We have an 8' disk that I would like to be able to transport with the tractor and if equipment trailer doesn't have stand up ramps, I believe it can fit on a 20' trailer and sit behind the fenders. I also have a 6' disk if the 8' won't fit on the trailer. I have already determined the 5303 will fit between the wheels of a standard width car hauler type trailer and I agree it will trailer better at the lower load height. My truck does already have an electric brake controller. Previous owner pulled his camper a couple times a year with it. Had a 5th wheel hitch but removed it when truck was sold. I am not interested in the gooseneck option as it will limit the use of the trailer for other family members I want to have access to it if needed. All good advice.

/ Equipment Trailer Question #24  
I would not want a deckover towing that kind of weight from the bumper. It has a tendency to rock forward and back being that high up in the air. If you like this type of trailer go with a gooseneck.

They can also be very difficult to get stuff into without adequate ramps. This makes the trailer longer and effective length shorter - and the whole thing mroe expensive and heavier.

Deckover goosenecks are great - but they are HEAVY!!

/ Equipment Trailer Question #25  
glad to see you are in mississippi, and therefore no where near me with an f-150 towing a load like that. too much trailer, too much tractor, too much combined load for a 1/2 ton to safely control

/ Equipment Trailer Question
glad to see you are in mississippi, and therefore no where near me with an f-150 towing a load like that. too much trailer, too much tractor, too much combined load for a 1/2 ton to safely control

Decided to pass on this trailer and keep looking. I agree that a bigger truck would handle the load better, but for the one or two times a year I tow this load and it being less than what the truck is rated for there is not justification for a different vehicle just for this. If factoring in an upgrade to a larger truck during replacement of current truck it is a little different. I still don't know that it would be worth the loss of fuel mileage and reduced ride comfort for what would account for 5% or less of use of the truck.

I have seen this issue debated heatedly in the past on here and am not opening that can of worms. Thanks.

/ Equipment Trailer Question #27  
Decided to pass on this trailer and keep looking. I agree that a bigger truck would handle the load better, but for the one or two times a year I tow this load and it being less than what the truck is rated for there is not justification for a different vehicle just for this. If factoring in an upgrade to a larger truck during replacement of current truck it is a little different. I still don't know that it would be worth the loss of fuel mileage and reduced ride comfort for what would account for 5% or less of use of the truck.

I have seen this issue debated heatedly in the past on here and am not opening that can of worms. Thanks.

Like I said before - my brand new 14k GVWR lamar trailer was 3295. I'd buy new before getting a used on at the price you mentioned.