Essential Workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Essential Workers? #121  
Good question... are US Postal Service workers classified as Federal employees?
I agree they kind of straddle the line as to whether an employee or not.

Although I get really frustrated trying to do even simple interactions with them, I feel sorry for employees of USPS. They are very poorly managed and subject to constant meddling that gets in the way of improvement or positive change. Must be a miserable place to work.

/ Essential Workers? #122  
Here we go again ...

"People inside the store screamed and ran away from the horrifying scene, which has become common in the Bay Area since a California state law downgraded the theft of property less than $950 in value from a felony charge to a misdemeanor in 2014."

The solution will be that retailers will close stores (already happening). First they will close in the cities (like Walgreen), further increasing city unemployment and vacancy rates. Then they will close suburban stores, since these thieves obviously have cars. Soon we will have to mostly buy on line, where the thieves will just learn to hold up package deliveries and our front porches.

/ Essential Workers?
Porch Pirates already significant and even with licence plate and perp video clear as day the threshold for dollar amount stolen means no interest from Law Enforcement.

Swarms attacking high end retail mimicking a military operation with ad many ad 80 involved is getting attention and merchants already boarding up and city setting up barriers to keep getaway cars at bay... the events often done in a minute or two.

/ Essential Workers? #124  
I agree they kind of straddle the line as to whether an employee or not.

Although I get really frustrated trying to do even simple interactions with them, I feel sorry for employees of USPS. They are very poorly managed and subject to constant meddling that gets in the way of improvement or positive change. Must be a miserable place to work.

Reminds me of talking to my mother. She was a career public school teacher and she’d start railing about the government, then I’d remind her that she worked for the government and not only did she try to deny it, the mere accusation offended her greatly, which is exactly why I did it ;) She eventually made peace with it but I always thought it was funny that she never looked at it that way.

She wasn’t union and never made a big salary but wow, the short days, the benefits, the pension, the mountains of days off, they were priceless. The only catch was having to deal with terrible kids and worse parents. It was bad back then, I can’t even imagine how awful it must be today. Reminds me of the people looting stores above. They essentially force those retailers to leave then cry about being victims because there’s no retail in their community. Terrible parents with terrible kids force good teachers into better districts or better jobs then cry about being victims because their schools are terrible. People tend to get what they ask for, much to their disappointment.

/ Essential Workers? #125  
Black Friday Special in San Francisco- EVERYTHING IS FREE !!!!!

Just bring plenty of your friends ... :D

/ Essential Workers? #126  
Is it true that thieves are using bar code readers to get prices of the items they have looted? That way they do not exceed the "misdemeanor" charge amounts and can know to make two trips?

/ Essential Workers? #127  
Last time I was in Cali, I watched a guy carry a 12" Dewalt slide compound trim saw out the door. The store manager said he couldn't pursue past the door. The thief ambled to a truck and took off.

/ Essential Workers? #128  
Last time I saw a shoplifter, he was running out the store (a K-Mart, as I recall) with two people chasing him. I chased him down in the parking lot, headed him off, and ran along while convincing him to just stop, as there was no way he was going to get away from me. He finally stopped and we just stood there for a while. He was a young kid. Maybe 15. Out of breath, scared to death. Security guard ran up and hit him. I grabbed the security guard and told him to knock it off, the kid gave up. Just stop. The other guy came up and they took the kid back into the store. Don't know what happened to him. I went back to the car and my wife told me I was nuts. My kids asked me what I was doing. I told them I was helping someone with their car or something.

But standing there and doing or saying nothing just isn't possible for me.

Couple years ago, we saw a hit and run right in front of us. I took off after the running car, chased it down, convinced them to pull over, took a picture of their license plate and the driver and they took off again. I let it go, as I didn't want to be driving like that putting others at risk. Went back to the accident scene and waited for the cops to arrive. Turns out a passenger in the hit car was an old coworker. Gave the cops the info.

Again, probably not a good idea. It'll probably come back to bite me someday, but standing by and not doing or saying something is part of the problem.

/ Essential Workers?
I'm the same but getting older and hope a little wiser...

Witnessing Shoplifting is hard but reported to security and always told thank you and that was the end.

The grocery stores here violate Fire Code every night by chaining shut all but one set of doors... fire turns a blind eye saying it's that or the stores no longer stay open late.

Seeing groups go down the isle scooping up steaks, pampers, munchies, Tide to the point the cart is overflowing and then head to the door...

It's no joke that retail is voting by shuttering stores and reducing hours...

Gunfire is common somewhere but in the context of 9 million live in the metro area...

/ Essential Workers? #130  
This crap really pixxes me off. Years ago a good friend was a store manager at a department store in a small town an hour from here. He caught shoplifters all the time.
He had to testify in court. One day my friend
said the district attorney jumps up and said to the judge "day after day this man has to take off from work, show up here, the thief gets a slap on the wrist and goes on his way."
The judge said "I agree with you. OK...next case...what did this guy steal?". Friend said a shirt. Judge: "OK, $100 fine+10 days jail. Next case". Guy stole a portable stereo...$200 fine+20 days. Etc.
Would you believe after that shoplifting quit!
My friend said it was very rare it ever happened again.
My Dad (rip) worked at Sears years ago. He always carried a pair of Sears socks in his pocket with label & tags on them. He would chase after a shoplifter as police were called. Shoplifter would always throw merchandise into the bushes, Dad would wrestle & hold guy down while police arrived then slip those socks in the guy's pocket.
Police would find them, perp usually said "I didn't steal socks...it was that Craftsman wrench over in the bushes."

Status
Not open for further replies.