Estimate of the Cost of Welding

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #31  
Hello Everyone,

One of the braces on the mower on my riding lawnmower is breaking off and needs to be rewelded. I've never had this done (newbie at working land) and have no idea how much it costs for say a 3-4 inch "re-weld" or prep and weld. Any idea (range) of what I should be paying for something like this? Thanks!
Look for a local shop to help you out. If your nice and don't pressure them on time, they will usually help on the cheap. Especially if your local "neighbors". My local shop is busy but if I pop in ready they would do this for $25-$30. If you call an independent travelling welder it would take a 1 hour charge minimum, $90 -$150. If I am having someone come out I will try to get a couple things I need done since they charge by the hour and that is about a 15 minute job.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #32  
That's a hard thing to make money on. It's super to payback a couple modern tools, welding equipment has about always returned its cost but the modern inverter has taken it another leap with DC and dvi.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #33  
Buying a few rods is half as much as the equipment.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #34  
Most tigers welders are reasonable if they do walk in work. As someone said, ready well fit and clean before bringing it is the deal. I even know some good tig welders really cant build anything g.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #35  
If I was Joe in the burbs I could get by with the 140 and maybe even simply as the 150 stick if I had equipment to work on.
I am a career welder and could easily count on hands the time I really need tig and even less with the advent of the simple spool gun.
I got it, I can do it, never use it a mb d at this point really mostly slide by with a 200 wire welder and even some stick I do use could easily be done wire.
Should have got a pic, neighbor stop to weld about 20 ft of 1/4 and we break out the 250 for the occasion.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #36  
I am a speed demon and dont like changing stuff so 030 tends to be the middle of the road wire, it's faster on most things than 023, turns down quite a bit better than 035 and lot hotter than 023 and will basically take all the output the machine has,, as I get older can appreciate the ease having smaller wire is on foil thin sheet.
The world is getting lighter and thinner al the time.
The small wire feed made so much so much easier for so many, allowed billions of repairs in small salvage.worldwide.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #37  
Had a bud in another country while back said bought a simple inverter for like 100$ local and did a couple repairs with it.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #38  
When I was in high school, I loved working in the metal shop. I was really good with OA, but barely passable with stick. Fifteen or so years later, a guy I worked with mentioned that he was signing up at the local junior college for an arc welding class, and persuaded me to join up. I liked it, and was actually pretty good. Bought a Lincoln AC/DC tombstone, and started building custom gate frames to replace the wooden ones that home builders installed in my area - starting with my own. The wife thought I was crazy, until she saw our three boys swinging on the new gate, no sag, no drag. I was pulling the 4x4 posts out of the concrete footings and replacing them with 3.5 square .120 tubing, and welding the hinges in. Once I had done mine, family/friends/neighbors wanted some. It quickly evolved into a second income. I was having to rent an engine driven welder to install, so I bought a Hobart Handler 135 Mig and used a 5kw generator, and also drilled and tapped the hinges and posts for stainless bolts to give a finished look. Jobs continued to pour in, with most jobs generating 3 or more inquiries. The jobs were also growing in size, weight, cost, and profit, so I stepped up to a Bobcat 250 and a MM210, both bought from the profits.

I became a teacher, and lost the free time to do a lot of extra work. I cut back to just doing projects for family and my own wants and needs. Loaned the Handler135 to my oldest son, who is still doing home projects with it ten years later. FIL gifted me his Lincoln 175, and the MM210 still runs great. The Bobcat 250 gets a bit of field use, and powers the house during the rolling blackouts we've had in California. Bought a Cut50 plasma cutter several years ago, and recently bought myself an import 225A AC/DC Tig/stick inverter, just to play with some welding on automotive projects and aluminum.

I now weld for enjoyment only. All my equipment has paid for itself, and the satisfaction of remaking something better than it ever was is high. Every once in a while, I get to help out a friend or neighbor, and it sure cuts downtime when you can weld up a repair yourself. I usually add some modification to make it better, as well.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding
Thank you all for the great advice. As I replied in an earlier post, my neighbor next door did the weld and wouldn't take a dime. I did do all the prep around the weld. Next time I need to weld again, I may invest in the Harbor Freight welder and try and learn how to do it myself.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #40  
Thank you all for the great advice. As I replied in an earlier post, my neighbor next door did the weld and wouldn't take a dime. I did do all the prep around the weld. Next time I need to weld again, I may invest in the Harbor Freight welder and try and learn how to do it myself.
Invite your neighbor over for a BBQ and maybe some lessons (y)